moon shot update

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
I started this thread a coupe of weeks ago with my first attempt at shhoting the moon, asking for c &cs.
But it has taken off - everybody seem to be shooting the moon.
Its good to see and thanks for all the comments and settings advice.
Here is my second shot, with a recently purchased Redsnapper Tripod.
c &cs please.
exif data: f8 - 1/100s - ISO at 1EV under 200 and used Rear Curtain Flash
Peter

Last edited:
Exposure is possibly still a bit on the high side, evidenced by the loss of details in the bright areas at the bottom. Maybe try upping the shutter speed slightly. That may also help with the slight fuzziness you have in the image.

Other suggestions for trying to get everything sharp is to use live view (if your camera has it) zoomed in to check focus. Use mirror lock up, if possible, to minimise vibrations and use a remote to trigger the shutter. If you don't have a remote, use the in built shutter timer.

Final question I have is you mention final curtain flash. Why? Taking shots of the moon doesn't require the use of a flash.

Hi scarecrow
thanks for comments
I was just messing about with the camera functions and the flash settings came up so just had a play withit
Peter

The moon is my current favorite subject.

My biggest struggle is getting the focus right, I usually let the AF do most the work and then tweak as needed in manual. Once I am happy I leave it on MF so the AF doesn't undo the work I have done. This is a big part of a good moon shot as far as I can tell. Any softness shows on the circumference very clearly.

I use an app on my android phone called photo tools which gives me a settings start point based on the moons cycle, there might be an iphone equivalent but I don't know of one. I then adjust the shutter or apature to get it just so. I usually try shorten the shutter for less light or open the aperture for more to try reduce any effects of my cheap tripod wobbling. I also use a 2s timer on the shutter.

Looks like you could use a longer lens as that crop is pretty tight. I use a 200mm and really want at least another 100mm to make my crops less drastic.

This is the best I have managed so far:

The Moon 25 Oct 2010 by themaninthesuitcase, on Flickr

Theres a few more in that set, EXIF is on all of them if your curious.

haha... the moon probably got blinded when you used flash as the flash probably tried to output enough power to light the moon that far away :)
just kidding.

has anyone mentioned the sunny side rule (or something like that?)?
it basically means the moon is the same light as the sun. so use the settings you would normally use for daytime. i forget what now without googling it. but i usually use upwards of 250th for shutter speed and around f16 for aperture.

post some more moon shots :eek:)

also - as what you've done.. it's best to take a photo of the moon when it's about half rather than full (shadow detail from the side rather than full on and no shadow detail)

Back