More from BSB

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi here's some more from Monday these were taken by Lorraine my other half :)
350D and 100-400L
Pete
ShakyByrne.jpg

LeonHaslam.jpg

IMG_5264.jpg

IMG_5262.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

Shutter speed is a bit too fast in the first two, aperture priority can do that because it adjusts the shutter speed to allow for the user input aperture size... which can cause the action to be frozen if the shutter speed gets too fast - fine for say football, not good for motorsport as it freezes the wheels making it looked like they are parked...

The two crash shots are ok, like the 2nd one actually. Definitely says "oh bother" :D

The last one also suffers from "action freeze", but thats because its shot in the dreaded "action" mode, which gives you the fastest possible shutter speed - 1/1250th in this case. Again, maybe good for anything actionwise other than motorsport but...

Thanks for the comments.

I have not tried any motorsport photography before so i was pleased with the results, expecially catching the heat haze from Shakeys exhaust. However I agree that that most of my shots do look 'frozen', and I have to practice more.

I guess I will have to lower the shutter speed and practice panning. I did try to do this but these bikes are going real fast and I got a lot of tail ends and grass :LOL:

Petes missus

Personally I think the shot of Shakey Byrne's bike is superb and only let down by the sense of speed, lack of. The heat haze really sets the shot off. As it is mainly a head on shot so not much detail on the wheels for motion it may be worth processing a little motion blur on the background. If you get it right then you could turn this shot into a cracker (y)

Hello Mrs Pete!

I guess I will have to lower the shutter speed and practice panning. I did try to do this but these bikes are going real fast and I got a lot of tail ends and grass :LOL:

To be honest the shutter speed has little to do with missing framing the bike - well unless you are superhuman and deal in hundredths of seconds :LOL:

What it has got to do with is the ability to get the bike sharp, the slower the speed the more you have to accurately track the bike in a smooth motion. But again its really not anything you can say you ever conciously do because the timing is so minute...

If you have IS/VR on your lens, turn it on... it does help!

Is number 1 stopped?

Personally I think the shot of Shakey Byrne's bike is superb and only let down by the sense of speed, lack of. The heat haze really sets the shot off. As it is mainly a head on shot so not much detail on the wheels for motion it may be worth processing a little motion blur on the background. If you get it right then you could turn this shot into a cracker (y)

Shakey's at the edge of the track pulling the clutch in and gazing at his rev-counter.....

He's doing a practice start........This is a common sight after most practice sessions when it doesn't really matter it the rider fries the clutch when doing a practice start.

Last edited:
Oh right ! Shaky wasnt moving very fast in this shot, guess thats why I managed a reasonable piccy :D

But nevertheless very pleased with the effort.

As for the guy who slid off at the start of race one due to the rain, didnt get a shot of the actually slide worried that the rider was ok. Guess I havent got that 'killer' instinct :LOL:

Shakey's at the edge of the track pulling the clutch in and gazing at his rev-counter.....

He's doing a practice start........This is a common sight after most practice sessions when it doesn't really matter it the rider fries the clutch when doing a practice start.

Right enough, didn't notice the clutch hand :bonk: Explains the heat haze captured so well from the exhaust also.

Can't beat BSB! Like the photos.

Talking of BSB anybody got advice for good place to stand at Snetterton?

Sounds familiar!
Are you replacing the BSB work with something else?

At the moment, just a TV...

I love the sport but put way too much passion into it (is that possible??) that at the moment I'm hacked off being pretty much forced out of what I loved doing so am taking a break and just watching the racing at home and spending more time out on my own bike for a change.

Back