More Portrush Airshow

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
A rather dismal afternoon with terrible light a lot of the time alternating with showers. The reds were on last and had to abort after the low level part of their display. A lot of the planes performed well offshore and I found myself using either the 70-200 with 2XTC which often wasn't enough or the 300/2.8 with 2XTC. This was the new 2TCIII which isnt supposed to degrade the image significantly but I'm not too sure about that. For you buffs out there would I have been better using the cropped D300 for extra reach as I used the D700 full frame which effectively shortened everything. I dont know which is the better option but I kept the D300 in the bag, possibly wrongly. Kev if you're out there, my 300 with 2TCIII wasnt on a par with yours but mind you, to get the shutter speed for jets, I had to crank the ISO up to 1000 and thought the D700 would have suffered less noise than the D300. Comments appreciated. A selection pics enclosed. merv
_DSC1328.jpg

_DSC1302.jpg

_DSC1235.jpg

_DSC1136.jpg

_DSC0939.jpg

_DSC2730.jpg

You got some really good ones lovethe last 2 nice and sharp!! Wish I could of got more of 5, really nice little plane. Until next year, we should get a TP meet organised :).

I'd be up for that Ian. YOu have a nice sharp pic of the jet Provost on FlickR. Were you using the 100-400 all the time?
merv

Yah all day over the 2 days, great lens I have to say next time i will get a TC thou. Id say for an airfield airshow it would have been spot on, planes would of been alot closer. The Provost was pretty close hardly any crop needed for it I am relly happy in general with the sharpness of most of them its the exposure was the hard bit depending what bit of the sky I was shooting against I had to keep adjusting. I have about anther 10-15 keepers that I cant get uploaded as I have reached my cap. When it wasn't raining I was in the pub I probably seen you about, I was keeping my eyeout for anyone that I thought woula been a TP member.

Back