Most thought provoking shot.

It's called "General Nguyen Ngoc Loan Executing a Viet Cong Prisoner in Saigon"
He's about to pull the trigger, and NBC news caught the whole thing on video.

Read this though, because nothing is as simple as it seems.

Personally the images that made the most impact on me was a sequence of thirty Russian spetznatz charging a Chechen stronghold, attacking with WP grenades, bursting into the then burning building and the grizzly results. My grandfather told me how horrific war could be, but that confirmed just how horrific, It also made me respect those soldiers for being able to do such a difficult job because they thought it was the right thing to do.

I remember this one, very thought provoking!

Spence

Do you mean Kim Phuc? we studied her story at school,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phan_Thị_Kim_Phúc

There is also that image of the young Chinese guy in Tianaman square in front of the tanks.

Brave lad.

That was one of the most impressive acts of deviance I have ever seen.(y)

Spence

JN0001RWIN_GA.jpg

One image that succinctly and depressingly sums up the Rwandan genocide, IMO.

That is pretty aweful!
I also remember the Srebrenica Massacre, when the Dutch UN failed to protect Bosnian Muslims.:shake:

Spence

Spence

Not wishing to minimise the impact that any of the above photos have. They are indeed thought provoking.

Here's another thing to think about

415603443440554313.jpg

Very thought provoking, it just goes to show that it doesn't have to be a violent image to make you stop & think.

Spence

From recent events, for me, it's the series of photos taken by Shayne Robinson, in Reiger Park, Johannesburg, May 18th.

Unidentified man set alight after a neighborhood dispute. The most moving is the one taken of the man crouched on his knees, after the police had managed to extinguish the flames.

There are many thought provoking pictures, but unfortunately it's the gruesome ones that remain vivid in the mind.

Personally the images that made the most impact on me was a sequence of thirty Russian spetznatz charging a Chechen stronghold, attacking with WP grenades, bursting into the then burning building and the grizzly results. My grandfather told me how horrific war could be, but that confirmed just how horrific, It also made me respect those soldiers for being able to do such a difficult job because they thought it was the right thing to do.

I think it is very difficult to imagine being in a conflict/war situation for those that haven't (me included), but some things can bring you closer. I was on a stag do in Bratislava at the weekend and while there we fired some guns includung a pump-action shotgun and an AK47, it certainly brought home the ferocity of these weopons.

From recent events, for me, it's the series of photos taken by Shayne Robinson, in Reiger Park, Johannesburg, May 18th.

Unidentified man set alight after a neighborhood dispute. The most moving is the one taken of the man crouched on his knees, after the police had managed to extinguish the flames.

There are many thought provoking pictures, but unfortunately it's the gruesome ones that remain vivid in the mind.

Shayne does get around. He's is probably one of the most recoqnisable names in SA Photo journalism.
The story as reported in Zimbabwe of all places is here: http://www.newzimbabwe.com/pages/asylumsa42.18217.html
and here's the trust started for the chaps family http://burningman.blat.co.za/2008/06/11/ernesto-nhamuave-is-home/

That is truly an aweful image.
It does show how cruel we humans can really be.:crying:

Spence

I agree with Pete, if these things happen, they should be photographed. You people have issues with the photographers? I have issues with the perpetrators.

Hear hear :clap::clap::clap:

I think for me the picture of actor Rock Hudson ravaged by AIDS.

Seeing somebody once so good looking and well known affected by the disease really hit home.

I think it changed a lot of peoples outlooks.

bit off tack but has made me think of that recent film 'untraceable', the killer goes mad because news coverage of his dads suicide ends up bein laughed at by millions on the internet, i know it is only fiction in that case but it is a close line between informing the mass public of events that they have a right to know about and hurting those that are closely involved even more so than they already are.
the BBC has that rule that the news they cover must be in the public interest, or something like that but how on earth does anyone make that decision where to draw the line? must be a tough job eh

BBC has that rule that the news they cover must be in the public interest
Yes, who exactly determines "public interest" and what is the politics behind that reasoning.
Dead, mutilated soldiers is clearly in public interest if you want to stir up resentment & antagonism against the war. That's what happened in USA re Vietnam. Not showing dead, mutilated soldiers is again in the public interst if you want to keep population on your side of keeping the war going.
"Public interest" is a political tool. It's manipulation at it's best. Hence, there should be far more tog's filling free blog type sites with all sorts of images and letting Joe Public see everything then making up their own mind based on seeing far more than the mainstream media (politicians) want them to see.
Trouble is tog's need to get paid. And payer's political ideas thus determine outcome once again.
Pot of loot devided into 100. Nameless togs enter lotto to possibly win a 1/100th share of the loot. That covers each tog's costs for say 6 months. (i.e. big amount). 100 Tog's of various persuasions then go off & shoot & submit everything to one unedited site themselves. Now that would be interesting & fair.

...Dead, mutilated UK soldiers is clearly in public interest if you want to stir up resentment & antagonism against the war. That's what happened in USA re Vietnam. Not showing dead, mutilated UK soldiers is again in the public interst if you want to keep population on your side of keeping the war going...

Facts are in the public interest.

ie showing them what's going on. Not showing it, is just not owning up to what you're doing because you know it's wrong. People need to learn to deal with real life. Unfortunately the vast majority are more than happy to go along with what they're told to in the belief that it works out better for them. They're also to stupid to figure out that, of course, it doesn't.

For me, sometimes i see deep things in the most subtle of images

In this first image,very nearly the whole country could feel the pain of the poor lost child, and different expressions and emotions that each person in the image is going through.

The 2nd image the lost child has come full circle, and gone from a boy to a man

73389676.jpg

340x.jpg

Facts are in the public interest.

ie showing them what's going on. Not showing it, is just not owning up to what you're doing because you know it's wrong. People need to learn to deal with real life. Unfortunately the vast majority are more than happy to go along with what they're told to in the belief that it works out better for them. They're also to stupid to figure out that, of course, it doesn't.

The trouble is that photos very rarely tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

trouble is that photos very rarely tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Oh, the photo tells the truth. It's like a mirror. But the angle & perspective can be manipulated by the tog, thus giving the wrong impression. Kinda like guns & cars don't kill, people do. Alcohol doesn't turn into anything when just in the bottle, but mix with person & you get an a******e. Uh.... let's see. Yep, we're the problem......

Oh, the photo tells the truth. It's like a mirror.

Ehh, I dunno. I wouldn't even go that far. It's like a mirror that's being manipulated by someone else--someone who has an agenda--and that you can glimpse into for literally an instant, and that's it. No second looks, no explanations, just that single instant. No looking outside what the "mirror" was pointed at, no context. That's it.

Not the best instrument for gaining an unlimited, unbiased view of a situation, particularly when such instruments come to represent entire conflicts, entire nations even.

Wait, why do I want to become a photojournalist again? :LOL:

I have seen many photographs on various websites\magazines ect, but there is one that will always haunt me.
Its the picture taken by Theo Liasi a photojournalist from the UK.

You can see it here, but please be warned it is very graphic.

Even though Theo does not know what became of the girl, I still return to this web site hoping that he may update it about if she survived or not.

http://www.epuk.org/Showcase/546/afghan-child-theodore-liasi-1995

So does anyone else have any pictures that have had a long lasting impression on them?

Spence

Hi, I am the photojournalist who took the image of the girl in Kabul. Sadly, I never learnt of her fate, however, I am hoping to put a trip together to find out if she survived.

Just want to say thanks for your kind remarks and that the image has touched you in the same way it has touched me and still does today.

atb

Theo

Hi, I am the photojournalist who took the image of the girl in Kabul. Sadly, I never learnt of her fate, however, I am hoping to put a trip together to find out if she survived.

Just want to say thanks for your kind remarks and that the image has touched you in the same way it has touched me and still does today.

atb

Theo

Wow... Welcome to TP.

This picture always make's me sad but hey,that's nature for you.

28052004.jpg

Back