Moths, Phasmids, roach etc

Name
kurt
Edit My Images
No
Beautiful moth we found at night. Selangor, Malaysia. Samia tetrica - ID credit: Marcus Ng.
Samia tetrica IMG_3430 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Samia tetrica IMG_3436 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Erebidae, Arctiinae, Syntomini
the long cell in the forewing from the base to the anal angle / tornus excludes the genus Amata. Candidate genera to follow up with would be Caeneressa and Syntomoides. - Info credit: Roger Kendrick.
Blue moth IMG_3528 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Eclosed Flatidae hopper. Selangor, Malaysia.
http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/
IMG_2661 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Red stick insect from Sabah (Borneo)
IMG_2387 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

A really cool jungle roach, a male Catara rugosicollis. ID credit: Stefan Phalagorn. Sabah (Borneo).
Catara rugosicollis IMG_2337 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Sticky situation. A mating pair of unidentified Phasmids from Sabah (Borneo). Edit: Asceles margaritatas - IDed by Dr. Francis Seow Choen, via Andreas Sagita.
Asceles margaritatas IMG_2111 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Caterpillar
Caterpillar IMG_0978 copy (2) by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Excellent set Kurt,

Last one is my fav and the detail is sublime. Good to see you are human and can't get away with the inherent problems with Moths eye's #1/2 and flash where you get a glowy middle.

Wonderful looking bugs. The catara you have cut off the antenna and for the shot type which is very much an ID type shot i would expect to see these in but again the detail is spot on.

Have you filmed yourself working? Would love to see the process you go through to find and shoot these. :)

Awesome series Kurt. Red stick insect is very cool :)

1st one for me kurt, im really loving that moth :)

Excellent set Kurt,

Last one is my fav and the detail is sublime. Good to see you are human and can't get away with the inherent problems with Moths eye's #1/2 and flash where you get a glowy middle.

Wonderful looking bugs. The catara you have cut off the antenna and for the shot type which is very much an ID type shot i would expect to see these in but again the detail is spot on.

Have you filmed yourself working? Would love to see the process you go through to find and shoot these. :)

Thanks, Bryn. Ha..i think if i take my flash off the hot shoe, and experiment with lighting up the moth from different angles, I might be able to solve this problem :D.

I do have shots showing more of the antennae. The antennae are very long and I don't always want to include the whole thing. The details won't show unless you get close enough. Also, with flash on the shoe, the further away you are from the subject, the worse off the quality of light will be.

Catara rugosicollis IMG_2335 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

No, never filmed myself working. Don't think I'll do that :p

Awesome series Kurt. Red stick insect is very cool :)

Thanks, Ian. He's one cool stick!

Wonderful variety again Kurt. Really like that blue moth.

Thanks, Timmy. I love blue bugs!

That last one is excellent, my eye just roams over the entire shot with so much detail everywhere. Well Done!

Thanks, Neil. I have a full body shot of the same cat too but chose to post the closer shot.

Here's the full body shot.
Caterpillar IMG_0977 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

1st one for me kurt, im really loving that moth :)

Thanks, Graham. I love that magnificent moth too.

That last one is the stuff of nightmares - it would make a great horror movie monster! The first moth is lovely, and the third one has lovely colouring.

Excellent set Kurt my favourite is the last one too
great variety again

Excellent set Kurt my favourite is the last one too
great variety again

Oh bugger sorry didn't mean do post three replies!
Bad mobile phone connection

Back