motorbikes old/new...open thread??

Similar to mine but this is a newer model.

Not quite NO rear suspension - looks like it's got a sprung rear hub. Speed Twin?

Right side gear change, even back then!!! ;) :p

Ariel Leader.
Spotted at Rivington Lower barn a few years ago.
I went there with Just Dave, who was a member on here and a great guy. Sadly passed away not long ago.

Arial1.jpg

Last edited:

Right side gear change was the norm up until the 70's as I recall, then they got swapped over for US market which meant Europe too of course. Looks like foot brake right hand side and right hand gear change to me :)
Suppose shutting the throttle to change gear was "forced" as you had to take your hand off the throttle to perform gea rchange. I wonder how the modern riders with speed shift mechanism would cope!

Older Harleys (and others) had an unsprung clutch actuator on the left pedal (rocker) and a left hand change, leaving the right hand available to work the throttle. Kind of like patting your head while rubbing your tummy AND playing keepy-uppy all at the same time!

Older Harleys (and others) had an unsprung clutch actuator on the left pedal (rocker) and a left hand change, leaving the right hand available to work the throttle. Kind of like patting your head while rubbing your tummy AND playing keepy-uppy all at the same time!

Yes, that's the way it was with my 1929 750cc Harley, too. - Another thing: The left hand grip controlled ignition timing (advance - retard), clutch was left-foot-operated - and the (right hand) throttle worked exactly different from today.

Right hand turn opened, left hand turn closed, which made for an interesting test drive then on icy roads ... --- :D

IF I get my Royal Enfield converted to carb rather than fuel injection and lose the catalytic converter, I'll be very tempted to use a dash of "R" in every tankful of fuel, just for the smell!

IF I get my Royal Enfield converted to carb rather than fuel injection and lose the catalytic converter, I'll be very tempted to use a dash of "R" in every tankful of fuel, just for the smell!
Now there's a commercial opportunity, Castrol R aftershave!

Which brings me to.........Castrol R! what a smell! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
used to put it in the 4 strokes just for the smell
little did some chaps know that putting it in the whole of the engine meant it had to be drained and flushed after some use??

used to put it in the 4 strokes just for the smell
little did some chaps know that putting it in the whole of the engine meant it had to be drained and flushed after some use??

Unfortunately, it kills catalytic converters, otherwise I'd still do it.
It's a bit of a PITA in a road bike due to its limited life (and other undesirable characteristics!) but it does smell so damn good! Can't remember where I read that the best selling men's' colognes would be motor oil, good cigars and p***y if anyone would make them. :D

Not massively different to what we have now, especially if you include right hand foot brake at the same time. My son has just done his CBT and as a very experienced car driver couldn't believe how many things you had to do simultaneously to ride a bike.

:):confused::D

scotsmen roll their R's...phew!!

As a certain Mr Connolly once said (iirc)...

This woman came up to me in New York and said "You're from Scotland, Aren't You"

"Aye, how can You Tell?"

"It's the way you roll your R's"

"That's no that I'm fae Scotland, that's because of the Cuban Heels i'm wearin"

As a certain Mr Connolly once said (iirc)...

This woman came up to me in New York and said "You're from Scotland, Aren't You"

"Aye, how can You Tell?"

"It's the way you roll your R's"

"That's no that I'm fae Scotland, that's because of the Cuban Heels i'm wearin"

:D
aye yer a canny lad!!

an american tourist viewing the scott monument in ediburgh princes street
he is approached by a woman of the streets
"hey paul widje like a wee bit?"

" why are they going to break it up?"

"nah min..i'm a coo"

"you cant fool me i'm a farmer"

time for a thread on scottish jokes...
me first

jock mackay

Unfortunately, it kills catalytic converters, otherwise I'd still do it.
It's a bit of a PITA in a road bike due to its limited life (and other undesirable characteristics!) but it does smell so damn good! Can't remember where I read that the best selling men's' colognes would be motor oil, good cigars and p***y if anyone would make them. :D

lynx-daily-fragrance-urban-tobacco-and-amber...close to a cigar smell...i use all three..one at a time:cool:

Since the founder of Triumph was a German immigrant to England, it could be argued that early examples of the marque are German!

Like Steve McQueen's time travelling one in the Great Escape! :D

Since the founder of Triumph was a German immigrant to England, it could be argued that early examples of the marque are German!

Hi, TRIUMPH was founded in England because England was the technological superpower at that time. --- The German subsidiary was set up later, and stopped making bikes in 1956.

Last edited:
Hi, I TRIUMPH was founded in England because England was the technological superpower at that time. --- The German subsidiary was set up later, and stopped making bikes in 1956.
A German engineer with German ideas but made in England....

Last edited:
My old VTR1000, about 70 miles to a tank full!

S4010005 by rick phillips, on Flickr

My old commuter CB500, it had 78K miles on it when I sold it, I now have another which I won't part with, it hasn't been run for a couple of years but I love the little things :)

IMG_2624 by rick phillips, on Flickr

Back