motorbikes old/new...open thread??

A mate of mine used to run an old Dominator 99. It was always shedding bits and breaking down so I made him a T-shirt that read "Notrun - Born too loose".

A mate of mine used to run an old Dominator 99. It was always shedding bits and breaking down so I made him a T-shirt that read "Notrun - Born too loose".

Hi, it was the same with my HARLEY from 1929. Luckily, I knew a CATERPILLAR operator, who helped me with non-metric bolts and nuts ... ---

When I was looking after the Shovel, I would do a pre ride check of all the important nuts and bolts - the owner had painted a white stripe on all the ones that didn't need adjustment to make it quicker! There was a 1/2" AF ring spanner stuffed in the end of the tool roll for adjusting the clutch which needed adjustment at monotonously regular intervals! I still have full sets of AF and Whitworth sockets.

Was seriously considering a STriple a few years ago but kept putting it off. When I did eventually decide to take it for a test ride, it was in the "SOLD" area of the dealership. Probably just as well - it would probably have either killed me or crippled me!

A while ago, I mentioned that we had visited a small collection of bikes - Jolly's Bike Shop. Well, earlier today, we went back and this time, I had a camera with me! To stretch it out a bit, I'll add the results over the next few days rather than dump them all in one post.

The bike I was most impressed by on both visits was a rather pretty Harley Shovelhead with some very interesting features. Please note that the photos are NOT the wrong way round, I promise!!! Those with some knowledge of H-D anatomy will probably spot why I have made the above statement...

DSCF6852.JPG

DSCF6859.JPG

"What?" I hear you say - "Where's the final drive?"
Well, have a look in the mirror shots and it's still very hard to see - in fact, it's easier to spot in the above shots.

DSCF6851.JPG

DSCF6869.JPG

Here's a closer look at the drive train on the RIGHT hand side of the bike.

DSCF6863.JPG

And in this last shot, you might see where the final drive comes from!

DSCF6861.JPG

It has been ridden but not far, I'm told and TBH, I'm not really that surprised!

More to come of some of the other bikes in the gentleman's collection...

A while ago, I mentioned that we had visited a small collection of bikes - Jolly's Bike Shop. Well, earlier today, we went back and this time, I had a camera with me! To stretch it out a bit, I'll add the results over the next few days rather than dump them all in one post.

The bike I was most impressed by on both visits was a rather pretty Harley Shovelhead with some very interesting features. Please note that the photos are NOT the wrong way round, I promise!!! Those with some knowledge of H-D anatomy will probably spot why I have made the above statement...

View attachment 406821

View attachment 406822

"What?" I hear you say - "Where's the final drive?"
Well, have a look in the mirror shots and it's still very hard to see - in fact, it's easier to spot in the above shots.

View attachment 406823

View attachment 406824

Here's a closer look at the drive train on the RIGHT hand side of the bike.

View attachment 406825

And in this last shot, you might see where the final drive comes from!

View attachment 406826

It has been ridden but not far, I'm told and TBH, I'm not really that surprised!

More to come of some of the other bikes in the gentleman's collection...
It took me a while to work it out but the engine is in back to front to enable the rather unique final drive (the engine rotation needs to be reversed to make the drive work.. Whilst I admire the engineering I would never want to ride it or own it. BTW thanks for posting it @Nod

The owner freely admits that it's hardly a daily ride! Very pretty and interesting though. The paint is clear so the linished finish on the bare metal shows through it.

Well worth popping in if you're passing, Paul. Take the first left after turning in to Bovey from the roundabout and it's on the left - you can't miss the dinosaurs... Decent coffee from the shed outside too.

A pair of extremely low Harleys. The bike is on air ride so has no side stand - it drops onto the bottom frame rails. Again, not daily riders!!!

DSCF6872.JPG

DSCF6857.JPG

DSCF6858.JPG

It took me a while to work it out but the engine is in back to front to enable the rather unique final drive (the engine rotation needs to be reversed to make the drive work.. Whilst I admire the engineering I would never want to ride it or own it. BTW thanks for posting it @Nod

Hi, the only other case I know of a "rubber wheel drive" ... :

I think there have been a few other similar designs (including some bolt on kits) but they may well be rebadged Velosolexes.

A couple of first generation Rocket IIIs. The closest one has a W i d e front end. He has a 2.5 litre one as well - which looks to be in frequent use.

DSCF6855.JPG

A pair of Japanese 4 chops. Slightly annoyingly, there are no information boards on any of the exhibits and although the owner was there, he's a busy man and was having his lunch so I didn't want to interrupt him too much! Maybe on another visit.

DSCF6854.JPG

I'd like to know more about this one! Can't help wondering if the front engine has anything in it - some of the twin enginned Triumphs have empty front motors - all show, no extra go! I suspect that this one is real though, however impractical the bikes might be, they do mall seem to work properly!

DSCF6870.JPG

Back