Motorbikes

im sure i goosed one of my cameras by putting it in a tank bag, paranoid me now mainly uses a sling shot rucksack with the camera in nowadays, downside of this is if i crash theres a chance il hurt myself more as ive a huge hard object on my spine and il break the camera,decisions decisions.. i do have a big bit of deep foam cut out to take a camera but the size of the bag im limited to the size of lens i can use, hence why i again use the rucksack more ...you take your chances

TBH, I usually only carry a compact if I'm on a bike but do have a messenger style bag that would go in a pannier should I decide to take some better kit.

im sure i goosed one of my cameras by putting it in a tank bag, paranoid me now mainly uses a sling shot rucksack with the camera in nowadays, downside of this is if i crash theres a chance il hurt myself more as ive a huge hard object on my spine and il break the camera,decisions decisions.. i do have a big bit of deep foam cut out to take a camera but the size of the bag im limited to the size of lens i can use, hence why i again use the rucksack more ...you take your chances
I've travelled literally thousands of miles with that tank bag and domke in it never had any breakages or issues.

TBH, I usually only carry a compact if I'm on a bike but do have a messenger style bag that would go in a pannier should I decide to take some better kit.
Normally I'm the same Nod I just take a Fuji X100T & bits n a small Domke belt pouch, this time though I had some shots I wanted in town so wanted more flexibility.

Domke 2 upload.JPG

1712998755011.jpeg

camera bag goes in a side box ,walking clothes and boots goes in the other boxes , when I get there I change out of biking gear which goes into the boxes

View attachment 419938

camera bag goes in a side box ,walking clothes and boots goes in the other boxes , when I get there I change out of biking gear which goes into the boxes
I sometimes whish I had lockable boxes for one of my bikes but sadly not. The beauty of the Tank Bag arrangement I use is the camera is easy access for driveby shootings (of the photographic type).

I sometimes whish I had lockable boxes for one of my bikes but sadly not. The beauty of the Tank Bag arrangement I use is the camera is easy access for driveby shootings (of the photographic type).
Yes see what you mean a tank bag is perfect for when you’re out riding and see a shot can just stop and get out the camera

Well after 6 blissfully happy years I've killed my bike 8 hours riding in Scottish rain was its downfall, it's developed an electrical issue thats above me fixing it and even scouring the Internet and Facebook forums I can't suss out how to fix it, I was told it was rain getting into the clocks so bought some new ( well used) ones...same problem I've had a look at all the plugs I can get to and they look ok, so sod it I'm off new bike shopping tomorrow, bit gutted as I'd wanted to get to 100k miles and I'd managed 91k, just have to suss out what to do with this one now, I've only just spend 380 quid on tyres, serviced it, new coils and little ally 90 degree bends on my wheels RIP old friend

• Sad
Reactions: Nod
A good dose of WD40 might get the beast running again but you've probably tried that already. Might be worth checking the coil connections too - if they've been disturbed, continuity might be suspect.

A good dose of WD40 might get the beast running again but you've probably tried that already. Might be worth checking the coil connections too - if they've been disturbed, continuity might be suspect.
I've gave everything a good dose, my clocks died coming back from Scotland Monday, no speed and no tacho...didn't worry me too much I've a speedo on the satnav but then an engine light and oil light appeared, showed the temp as HI, so stopped immediately, engine didn't feel hot, no funny smells, turned bike back on again and all good, 5 minutes down the road same thing, luckily this happened in a wee village so seeing HI temp went the shop and bought some water, but when I went to top the rad up it was full...thinking it wouldn't effect the clock or the oil light, by now I'd been half sn hour checked the oil level and all good ( I'd checked it before leaving for Scotland that morning) anyway I was 190 miles from home and in work the next morning so started up the bike again, I'm thinking now it's electrical and when the warning lights came on ignored them, the bike felt it's normal self, no loss of power still pulled well, no issues changing gear...no smoke nothing apart from the lights, made it down to the truck stop at carnforth where I needed petrol, I thought if I break down I'm only 60 miles from home someone will pick me up, had a coffee and a butty and bike started again soon the clocks died but bike running fine so made it home, I had in work Tuesday so Wednesday stripped the nose cone off to get to the clocks, no corrosion on the plug or clock and gave it a good spray with WD40, went out on it to give it a wee run, clocks intermittent, now though it's just saying HI temp so bike won't start, stripped it right down to check ecu plug( it's under the airbox), totally dry and no issues)...been scouring the forums and can't see an answer what to look at so sod it...new bike time if the shop I've saw one in that I want was open I'd of gone today...hopefully it's open tomorrow or I will have to wait till Wednesday when I'm off, especially as I'm planning on heading back up to Scotland Saturday

• Sad
I've gave everything a good dose, my clocks died coming back from Scotland Monday, no speed and no tacho...didn't worry me too much I've a speedo on the satnav but then an engine light and oil light appeared, showed the temp as HI, so stopped immediately, engine didn't feel hot, no funny smells, turned bike back on again and all good, 5 minutes down the road same thing, luckily this happened in a wee village so seeing HI temp went the shop and bought some water, but when I went to top the rad up it was full...thinking it wouldn't effect the clock or the oil light, by now I'd been half sn hour checked the oil level and all good ( I'd checked it before leaving for Scotland that morning) anyway I was 190 miles from home and in work the next morning so started up the bike again, I'm thinking now it's electrical and when the warning lights came on ignored them, the bike felt it's normal self, no loss of power still pulled well, no issues changing gear...no smoke nothing apart from the lights, made it down to the truck stop at carnforth where I needed petrol, I thought if I break down I'm only 60 miles from home someone will pick me up, had a coffee and a butty and bike started again soon the clocks died but bike running fine so made it home, I had in work Tuesday so Wednesday stripped the nose cone off to get to the clocks, no corrosion on the plug or clock and gave it a good spray with WD40, went out on it to give it a wee run, clocks intermittent, now though it's just saying HI temp so bike won't start, stripped it right down to check ecu plug( it's under the airbox), totally dry and no issues)...been scouring the forums and can't see an answer what to look at so sod it...new bike time if the shop I've saw one in that I want was open I'd of gone today...hopefully it's open tomorrow or I will have to wait till Wednesday when I'm off, especially as I'm planning on heading back up to Scotland Saturday
That's a real bummer Dave, sorry to hear it. Hope a rest and dry out might revive it. :sorry:

That's a real bummer Dave, sorry to hear it. Hope a rest and dry out might revive it. :sorry:
its been a couple of dry warm days, and still the same, i went to look at and have had a little sit down on a kawasaki versys 1000 this morning, much much more comfy on my knee,and probably more practical for how i am, cant be a hooligan all my life, i must be getting old as i can see the benefits of a top box :ROFLMAO:, im losing 35 bhp but and might help me slow down a bit there is another one i want to see on wednesday thats got semi active suspension, quick shifter etc etc that id rather have, hopefully if i buy it they can have it ready for Saturday for me, give me time to sort out swapping the insurance out, i dont know i might keep the FZ1 and take my time to go through the electrics a bit moreor find someone who knows what they are doing

As we get older less young, comfort gets more important! Too many cameras around these days for hooliganism to be safe (on the license!!!)

well bought a nice and very shiny versys 1000 SE this morning, pick it up saturday morning, then im going to bugger off to Scotland on it for 5 days as ive got a pre op on the Thursday, next 2 days in work cant go quick enough, i very much doubt it will look as shiny when i get home, hey ho, bikes are there to be ridden, not sat in a garage and polished

Enjoy the new toy!

Popped into the local Honda dealer for a small part and made the mistake of having a sit on a new Transalp 750. (In many ways, my current bike with double the power.)

Much to my surprise it felt light and was not at all tippy toey.

Fortunately, there's no way I could fit it through my doorway,

A lesson learned though. Seat height measurement is not a good indicator.

Am managing to get out every other day at the moment on the Bandit have gone down to a smaller camera bag easier to fit in the boxes

Mr F***wit here managed to let his MOTs expire... Since the Sun's come out, the soonest I can get them tested is next Saturday. I have been out a couple of times on Mrs Nod's 125 but not very far!

Am managing to get out every other day at the moment on the Bandit have gone down to a smaller camera bag easier to fit in the boxes
This is what I take when not out specifically to shoot, X100T plus spare battery and CPL in a Domke Belt Pouch.

01 X100T-1020042 PS Adj Upload.JPG

Domke 2 upload.JPG

Most rides I don't even stop let alone take a photo but just in case this does the job fine.

Mr F***wit here managed to let his MOTs expire... Since the Sun's come out, the soonest I can get them tested is next Saturday. I have been out a couple of times on Mrs Nod's 125 but not very far!
Oh no sounds like the sort of thing that I would do :oops: :$

This is what I take when not out specifically to shoot, X100T plus spare battery and CPL in a Domke Belt Pouch.

View attachment 422567

View attachment 422566

Most rides I don't even stop let alone take a photo but just in case this does the job fine.
That’s nice and compact but still decent image quality I imagine
This time of year I’m after dragonflies and butterflies so gear is pretty compact just 100 macro on body , with a couple of spare batteries, don’t normally use flash
Biking gear helmet jacket etc goes in boxes then I’m good to wander along the river for a couple of hours

My riding jeans and boots aren't comfortable to walk that far in. Fine to get to the ice cream shop/caff etc. but not for a "walk". Only got a small (and very insecure!) bag on the Bobber but I reckon I could fit a small outfit in it if I needed to.

Is kicking it as much "fun" as it was on the Shovel I had custody of? (At around 20 stone in riding kit, I could stand on the kicker on compression!)

Is kicking it as much "fun" as it was on the Shovel I had custody of? (At around 20 stone in riding kit, I could stand on the kicker on compression!)
There's definitely a knack to it and getting it wrong can be painful but it has got me out of jail a few times when batteris have started to fail. The EVO bikes (apart from some early transition models) were fitted with 5 speed boxes and no kicker so unlike the 4 speed boxes the gearing isn't set for kick starting neither is the ignition. When I fitted this aftermarket kicker I also went with single fire ignition so it would fire on the first rotation but there is no help with the gearing. I'm probably nearer 14 stone fully dressed for riding and can still start it fine but one does have to commit to the action or suffer the consequences.

The only bike to have actually kicked me off (I was a lot lighter back then!") was a Daytona Triumph 500. As you say, you need to fully commit or suffer!

Well first ride on the versys went OK, I can tell its down on the power I'm used to and I certainly went over the hartside pass faster on the FZ but that's probably as I'm more used to it, had a mess with the suspension as I was riding along as it's semi active and electronic so you adjust it on the fly, firmed it up when I wanted to make progress but softened it when I fancied it a bit more sedate , i also realised i was still blipping the throttle despite not needing to with the quick shifter/ blipper 40 years of muscle memory i suppose .its nice and comfy the reason I chose it, did 260 miles on it yesterday and il have a wee blast round the Galway forest this afternoon..

I'm almost ashamed to upload this since I have said many times "if it has more than 2 wheels it shouldn't have handlebars" but I was into my local Harley Dealrship today to pick up a stock replacement part and this was sitting out front. Apparently Harley are now making Servicars (Trikes) again WTF.

Harley Servicar.JPG

Come the day when I'm too old and doddery for 2 wheels, and that day will come,
3 wheels may well be an option.

I just think I'd rather have a combo and a scruffy dog with goggles. :)

Last edited:
I'd have an Exile trike but I'm not so sure about a Servicar!

Back