Mountain Hares and Ptarmigan

Edit My Images
No
Here are a few from serious winter conditions on Monday in the Cairngorms - it was full on with wind chill to around -10 degrees and crampons on virtually from the car - as I struggled the hares just watched... I was really after Ptarmigan but mostly they must have retreated to lower slopes I think. As you can see from the last two I ended up shooting in heavy cloud and blown snow - which makes them moody record shots at best ;)

DSC_1584.jpg

DSC_1618.jpg

DSC_1689.jpg

You worked hard for these, cool subjects and good hunting!
You maybe forgot to DRL and the WB? … see your PM!

Thanks Kodiak - I will have another go at the processing and report back :agree:

I love theses wee beauties. Thousands of them not far from me. They are actually mountain hares tho not Arctic hares.

I love theses wee beauties. Thousands of them not far from me. They are actually mountain hares tho not Arctic hares.

Nice to see you've lost your I and o issues :p

Thanks Brash, corrected! There's another spot I want to try for hares as the ones on this peak are very skittish - a trip in January beckons!

Thanks Brash, corrected! There's another spot I want to try for hares as the ones on this peak are very skittish - a trip in January beckons!

Where in the Cairngorms were these? I see hundreds on the A93 Braemar to Glenshee road every winter and you'll also get dozens of Red Deer near the roadside too.

Where in the Cairngorms were these? I see hundreds on the A93 Braemar to Glenshee road every winter and you'll also get dozens of Red Deer near the roadside too.

Ben Rinnes - I must try the A93 but the snow gates were closed this week...

The road to Cairngorm is closed due to flooding, looks like it will be closed for a few days at least. the river Spey is huge, Rothiemurchus trout fishery is now part of the river.
Gordon.

The road to Cairngorm is closed due to flooding, looks like it will be closed for a few days at least. the river Spey is huge, Rothiemurchus trout fishery is now part of the river.
Gordon.

Ouch - that sounds rough Gordon, hope everything calms down soon - I guess Rothiemurchus will be doing some serious re-stocking in spring :(

All dry again, mild weather and very little snow left on Cairngorm, I am sure Rothiemurchus will have to restock, but farmed trout don't handle wild weather that good, so hopefully the fish loses will be minimal, without a fish farm they have buy the fish in so its expensive.
Cheers Gordon.

Back