Moving away from zooms.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I've always been out and about with a zoom or two. Having recently sparked my interest in photography again I've decided to try and use prime lenses. So I've started my prime journey with a Canon 50mm f1.4.
It's surprisingly harder to try and line up the shot, so you have to think about it a bit more, and dare I say it makes the whole thing more interesting?

Some from today:

IMG_0218 by Paul Pepperrell, on Flickr

IMG_0296 by Paul Pepperrell, on Flickr

IMG_0302 by Paul Pepperrell, on Flickr

Really nice images, I have the Nikon version of this lens and always struggled with the DOF when using it on my Nikon D300 so I leave it well alone, but as far as zooms go I just couldnt believe how many times a modern full frame camera can zoom or crop into an image and still have a usable result, Kinda makes me wonder about the usefulness of zooms too.

Great shots. You tend to find people that use primes can get more interesting shots. Zooms can be handy, but I find them very limiting for creativity. I am a little one sided as I do street photography, a genre which sometimes feels awash with people that stand miles away using a zoom getting what feels like snapshots *raises laptop to protect face*

You are bound to find someone to quote me and say they feel the opposite, or it doesn't matter what people use, but you should use what works best for you.

Best of luck, and have fun with your prime :)

Great shots. You tend to find people that use primes can get more interesting shots. Zooms can be handy, but I find them very limiting for creativity. I am a little one sided as I do street photography, a genre which sometimes feels awash with people that stand miles away using a zoom getting what feels like snapshots *raises laptop to protect face*

You are bound to find someone to quote me and say they feel the opposite, or it doesn't matter what people use, but you should use what works best for you.

Best of luck, and have fun with your prime :)
Agree with this. I haven't done a lot of street stuff, but the little I have has been with a 50mm prime to give me a little distance to counteract my nerves. I find having one focal length makes for a more considered composition.

Back