MPB

My experience is that if you send them something to sell, they'll often find a 'fault' that you didn't know existed, whereas if you buy something from them, it will often have a genuine fault that they haven't bothered to mention. Thus overall there tends to be a bias in their favour. Perhaps this is the nature of trade, but the impression it gives seems a bit underhand.

Not my first choice of dealer.
Absolutely my experience too which I've documented before when sending in a lens for a quote; My latest purchase from them was an SL2, which I really like - however it came with no battery and no charger. Raised this with them and because of the "issues" they wouldn't do anything but offered a return; Me being me, I didn't want to return it so bought a battery at cost. I have noticed though that the LCD has some weird delamination sort of thing, which has appeared; I know I've got a 6 month warranty on it, so I will be going to the Leica store to ask them what this is. It was a reasonable price for the SL2 (admittedly it was beat up) so I couldn't resist it

I think people are extremely quick to voice negative experiences. I can only share a personal opinion, and I have been nothing but happy on every occasion I have dealt with them.

I will be purchasing from them again next week, and will do so with confidence.

No company gets EVERYTHING right.
No thats true, but from the limited number of members using them here, it seems getting it wrong is far too common. I'll give them a miss.

I find their definition of "As New" a bit ridiculous sometimes. If there is anything at all missing, even the original box, it cannot possibly be described as being "As New". Stuff that has clearly been extensively used, covered in dust and marks described as Excellent condition.

My 500/4 E Nikkor was listed 'as new' but at an 'excellent' price. Probably used once. So a 5 from me for MPB.....

I've had a few bits from them, but a couple of cases where the item I received wasn't the one in the photos, and not as described in terms of condition. One occasion they did send me out a replacement that actually matched the description, the other I just got a refund. I suspect I may have been fobbed off and they kept the 'good' one, hoping I wouldn't notice. Needless to say it hasn't left me with much confidence int heiur integrity. But I know others have had only positive experiences with them, and the ther items I bought form them were fine. I wouldn't sell anything through them because I can get a better deal elsewhere. A couple of quotes I've had from them were so low compared to what they'd sell it on for, and whilst I understand they're a business that needs to make money, I felt that their valuations were taking the pee a little.

I was looking at some of their lenses and the descriptions/ratings don't always match up - you can have an "excellent" graded lens, but reading the description, the autofocus doesn't work... To me, that is far from excellent!

I was looking at some of their lenses and the descriptions/ratings don't always match up - you can have an "excellent" graded lens, but reading the description, the autofocus doesn't work... To me, that is far from excellent!
In my situation the lens had an error code and just did not work !
Which means to me the lens has not been checked at all, and therefore there is a quality control issue within mpb !

Excellent just related to the cosmetic condition... To be fair to MPB at least in the case of the 500 mm Nikkors they were advertising, they did state that the lenses either had a blemished front lens or AF squeal..Other dealing with other retailers was along the lines of actually getting them to test the lens even when the lenses were described as excellent or near-mint, and in 2 of the 3 cases the report came back negative. The one I eventually received from MPB was spotless.

Not to downplay anyone’s negative experiences, but I’ve not had a bad experience with them in the few years I’ve been using them. Just completed another smooth, faultless trade with them. Very happy with the service I’ve received.

After having several very bad experiences with them.

I decided to give it another go.

Collected tues, arrived weds, paid fri

Very surprised as for once it worked how they advertise it

Used MPB for years - never had a problem either selling or buying. Had to send some items back for faults ( on a D200 ) and had to send some FE lenses back due to decentre recently.

This sort of stuff happens - wherever you buy.

In every case we sorted a refund / exchange or negotiated a warranty extension within a few days.

Only thing I don’t like is no phone line and I generally hate chat sessions.

After having several very bad experiences with them.

I decided to give it another go.

Collected tues, arrived weds, paid fri

Very surprised as for once it worked how they advertise it

Same here actually, it seems to be luck of the draw with lead times to payment, they can be anything from within 24 hours to receiving the goods, to a week with hearing absolutely nothing. Given we as customers have no idea when the peaks and troughs for their business are, it's difficult to know if you're going to get the advertised service, or radio silence for ages.

For what its worth I have just sold a lot of Canon gear to MPB. DPD picked up the kit on Wednesday, delivered to them around midday yesterday (Thursday) and I had a revised offer from them by midday today (Friday).

They increased the value of one camera because of the low shutter count and reduced the value of a lens because of loose grip and scratches to the front element. I didn't notice a loose grip or scratches on the front element but all in all I didn't argue as the revised total was 95% of the quote.

I'm now just waiting to get paid.

Neil

Quoted last week, sent in on Thursday, arrived Friday, appraised today and no adjustment (my camera literally looked new so no expectation that it would) made to quote, payment made late this afternoon. Money now showing in my account.

Superb service, didn’t have to deal with the pikeys, nitpickers and low ballers on here either. I had the same service experience when I used them before too (y)

I've found them to be very good for buying and selling and over a period of time. Most of my lens are second hand from them and not had a problem.

Had two bad experiences on the trot with them where lenses turned up covered in dirt. To be fair to them they offered for me to return them but they cleaned up fine so I kept them. However, I would not use them again as they lost my trust - once could just be a genuine error but two in a row tells me they are either not checking the lenses or they are not looking after them the way I would expect. Either way I wouldn't use them again for buying stuff.

Had two bad experiences on the trot with them where lenses turned up covered in dirt. To be fair to them they offered for me to return them but they cleaned up fine so I kept them. However, I would not use them again as they lost my trust - once could just be a genuine error but two in a row tells me they are either not checking the lenses or they are not looking after them the way I would expect. Either way I wouldn't use them again for buying stuff.

Since they have grown MPB have had so many bad reports I didn't even consider them when I was looking for a second D500 body. Just missed one at Park Camera's so bought an immaculate low shutter count one from wex. Free next day delivery and couldn't tell it from new, its working well.

It's amazing how polarised feedback is for MPB, I have not had a bad experience with them so would use them again if I was looking for something. I also use WEX and they have been great as have London Camera Exchange who have always been brilliant for me and are my first stop for used gear but if they don't have what I am after I happily goy to WEX or MPB and compare their stuff.

Why is it that every time someone mentions M P B that is come up as a hyperlink to their website. I thought they did not sponsor this site anymore.

@bl0at3r Scowl all you want.
At least you won't have to be bothered dealing with various form of undesirables here any more.

Had you come back with an apology, I'd have left it there.

@bl0at3r Scowl all you want.
At least you won't have to be bothered dealing with various form of undesirables here any more.

Had you come back with an apology, I'd have left it there.

Merely sharing my experience of trying to sell on your forum and this is not the first time I have experienced this either - people are allowed to express their own opinions.

Pikeys...I'll take that...because I've been called much worse :p

Last edited:
Anyway. MPB...always been happy with the service and speed. Two occasions I've sold to them, pitched my price based on their rating system and they've up-graded the price. The only negative I've had was I recently bought a Nikon D5 from them (Described as "Good") and the rubber from around the eyepeice was missing and it had a third party battery...other than that I would have described it as "Excellent".

I have used the members selling area a lot, and had no problems. Apart from one member not likening my offer, mentioning it was too low, and starting an insulting rant !
Well to him I would say I did buy the same lens at a very cheap price from a friend of mine, so my money went to them, not you !

Question regarding MPB delivery...

When do they normally dispatch gear they've sold you?

I ordered a lens on Thursday night so I assumed it would be dispatched and collected by DPD on Friday, yet DPD are still saying they haven't received it yet.

I ordered a couple of bits on eBay at the same time and they've all been delivered by Royal Mail this morning, before MPB have even dispatched the lens!

Last edited:
What shipping did you choose ? All MPB stuff is next day - but if you choose no rush it’ll come on their estimate

I chose no rush, but all of DPD's services are 24 hours from what I can tell, so it's simply down to how fast MPB dispatch stuff.

I chose no rush, but all of DPD's services are 24 hours from what I can tell, so it's simply down to how fast MPB dispatch stuff.
If you are selecting no rush it will probably be despatched today, you normally will get an update after 1600 stating it has been shipped.

I have dealt with them several times and never had any problems .I have always ticked the delivery box as No rush and the items have all arrived with no delay.
Early on last year i did have a pick up delay but that was down to the courier and was sorted promptly.JUst my two pence worth.

Last year I ordered a Canon EF 100-400mm MKII lens. It came and it was the MK1 version. I wasn't happy. I sent it back and they sent the correct lens.

I wasn't impressed with them when I was a first time customer.

Last year I ordered a Canon EF 100-400mm MKII lens. It came and it was the MK1 version. I wasn't happy. I sent it back and they sent the correct lens.

I wasn't impressed with them when I was a first time customer.

To be fair to them, given the similarity in a lot of camera names, I'm not surprised things like this happen occasionally..

I ordered a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 a few years ago from Amazon when I had a Nikon, they managed to send the the Cannon fit version!

Question regarding MPB delivery...

When do they normally dispatch gear they've sold you?

I ordered a lens on Thursday night so I assumed it would be dispatched and collected by DPD on Friday, yet DPD are still saying they haven't received it yet.

I ordered a couple of bits on eBay at the same time and they've all been delivered by Royal Mail this morning, before MPB have even dispatched the lens!
I've ordered quite a few things from MPB and always selected the "No rush" option.... My experience is that occasionally it gets sent out with their next dispatch of orders, but is normally the dispatch after, with delivery the next day.... I've also found DPD are sometimes slow to update that they have collected the item.

Back