MPE65 or Enlarger lens with Bellows?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
What are the views on above some seem to think enlarger lens Nikkor 50mm 2.8 + bellows give better results than MPE65.
thanks in advance

What magnification are you expecting to work at?
What camera?
Do you own either of these lenses?
What lighting are intending use?
Do you intend handhold or use tripod?

Last edited:
What camera will you use this on?

Also consider something like laowa 100mm macro with 2x TC

I have an MPE 65 and an RF100 2.8 but I have never tried bellows with enlarger lens. I was watch ia video on Alan Walls Photography site he has some great videos on Macro/ I was thinking up to 3x and it would indoors on a table. With probable flash lighting.
Thanks

Enlarger lens are good but not great. What they usually have is a very flat field.
However they were designed to project on to photographic paper,, which does not accept or need a very high resolution capability.
Far lower than was needed for macro lenses. So while they usually cover the same magnification as a macro lens they are rarely as critically sharp.

However repro lenses designed for the graphic and print industry usually have not only a distortion free and very flat fields but can attain very high resolutions. The down side is that they were usually only made in longer focal lengths, than that used for photography, and with small maximum apertures..

Have you looked through this thread?

Your MPE will deliver 3:1 as standard so why mess about?

Back