Critique Mr. Globby

Brilliant glad you have got some need to go out and look for some.

Time to get bin bag out so I can lay on the ground. :)

Great shot Tim, good composition and colour. Contrast doesn't look too bad to me.(y)

George.

Brilliant glad you have got some need to go out and look for some.

Time to get bin bag out so I can lay on the ground. :)
Go on Bryn, time to cross these ones off your list ;)

Great shot Tim, good composition and colour. Contrast doesn't look too bad to me.(y)

George.
I had to push up the contrast a fair bit in post, but I'd like to try and get it right in camera if possible.

Thanks both!

Nice one Tim, always good to see these little critters (y) and well shot.

Surprising that the specular highlights are so un-rounded...
Yeah the MP-E only has 6 aperture blades, so it's pretty bad. Obviously I'm using it at high apertures to make it worse!

Beautiful shots, Timmy. Are these taken at 5X? Like the bokeh in #2 too!
Around 7X by my calculations. MP-E at 5X + 1.4X teleconverter. Cheers Kurt

Terrific perspective. How on earth do you get such a low angle on these tiny things? I too would be interested to know what your magnification was on this. Do I remember rightly that you have been using 7x or so I think with ? a 1.4x on the MPE? Linked to the magnification, I'm very interested in how much of a crop it is.
Well I either push my lens as low as possible, or sometimes I'll hold a leaf, using the left hand brace technique. I can't recall if i did that here. Think I just put the leaf they were sat on on top of a pile of more leaves to enable me to shoot from low down.
Yep, 7X as stated above (I calculated it to be 6.998... something, so that's 7 by my standards). The first has a slight rotation to level the horizon and gets a very slight crop as a result, but the second isn't cropped at all. Thanks Nick, I think the DoF looks pretty shallow on these, but I think it's more an issue with lighting.

Back