Muckros head

Edit My Images
Yes
I took this yesterday, in a place called muckros head in County Donegal, Ireland. I would love some good honest feedback from you guys as this is the first time i've set out to do a proper 12+ photo stitched landscape, thanks in advance :).......

(click photo to see larger on Flickr)

Nice shot, and as Grandslammer says, an impressive rock formation. (y)

Did you do a bit of pp to the sky, right of centre at the top of frame?

It was a cracking weekend here allright - went along the Causeway Coast to Ballintoy on Sunday afternoon, sky was a bit 'muggy' though - and roads were jammed, couldn't get parked anywhere near Ballintoy - should have gone in the opposite direction to Donegal instead.

Wouldn't mind taking a few shots at that location myself - have never been there though - any tips/advice?

Great pano-stitch!! No standout seams.. A tiny crop in from the right side, into the muckros mouth changes the feel quite a bit. The hill and blue sky above it and below the part that juts out, decreases the scale. With it out the scale is very dramatic... in the blue of the right corner to about top center I'm seeing blurry puffs that seem out if place, PP? Great sky otherwise. are we horizontally true or am I just listing? great shot!

Yes a nice shot indeed. Lovely rock formation...

Deffo needs a wee straighten though. ;)

(y)

i like this shot very much sky looks great well done

This is Muckros in all it;s glory. Well done for getting it all in - tide was out and the weather calm (bad weather creates huge waves that crash off the cliff). I did a lot of climbing here years ago - very atmospheric spot.

Impressive formation,sky is a bonus
...gets a (y) for effort alone

Thanks very much :)

Nice shot, and as Grandslammer says, an impressive rock formation. (y)

Did you do a bit of pp to the sky, right of centre at the top of frame?

It was a cracking weekend here allright - went along the Causeway Coast to Ballintoy on Sunday afternoon, sky was a bit 'muggy' though - and roads were jammed, couldn't get parked anywhere near Ballintoy - should have gone in the opposite direction to Donegal instead.

Wouldn't mind taking a few shots at that location myself - have never been there though - any tips/advice?

Thanks.....

Yeah i made a wee boo-boo. I actually didn't take the last shot (top right) high enough so ended up with a big black bit there :bonk: and thats as good as i could get with lightroom, but i intend to go all perfectionist tonight....which means it'll probably end up worse, ha ha!

It was fairly hazy here too, and i had to use a grad tint for the further away shot (when stitched) thats why the rocks seems darker, but i tried to concentrate on matching the sky.

It's on the back road / coast road into Carrick you turn off 2/3's of the way along the road, if you click the pic it will bring you to my flickr and i have it geotaged there. But honestly its a dangerous spot because the waves are usually savage there 90% of the time, and need the tide to be perfect! If ya ever do wana come sure gimmie a wee PM i'll go down to sure if im not busy!

Great pano-stitch!! No standout seams.. A tiny crop in from the right side, into the muckros mouth changes the feel quite a bit. The hill and blue sky above it and below the part that juts out, decreases the scale. With it out the scale is very dramatic... in the blue of the right corner to about top center I'm seeing blurry puffs that seem out if place, PP? Great sky otherwise. are we horizontally true or am I just listing? great shot!

Ta Jennifer...

Never thought of that i'll try and clone out the hill and see how that looks thanks for that, yeah as i said to Sergi i "miscalculated" the height of the top right photo, but i will try and rectify that tonight. I see what you mean re: the not straight horizon, i was almost certain in lightroom that it was straight but i definitely does look well off, I'll have another go in a bit.

Yes a nice shot indeed. Lovely rock formation...

Deffo needs a wee straighten though. ;)

(y)
Thank you tjc, yeah it really is a class location, all i had to do was point and shoot really to be honest :p

Yeah I'll have another go at the Horizon tonight again!

This is Muckros in all it;s glory. Well done for getting it all in - tide was out and the weather calm (bad weather creates huge waves that crash off the cliff). I did a lot of climbing here years ago - very atmospheric spot.

Hiya B_M and thanks.

Yeah I have visited Muckros loads of times now, thats the only time i have timed the tide out, despite the lovely calm day I still got soaked I wasn't long moving after that scared the b*****k's out me!:puke:

* thanks Very much for all the comments everyone i will try your suggestions and post up the results in a bit, thanks again and keep them coming.

Last edited:
Thanks, Homer - it's now on the ever-growing list of locations to visit - will definitely make a point of getting there!

Hard to appreciate the scale of this. Did you need to make a stitched pano to get it all in the shot or were you out to get high detail?

The picture does have some assembly problems but it is certainly an impressive location.

Looks a touch under exposed to me and the 'head' a bit too close to the left edge of frame if you go back for another go.

Back