Munro 'Baggers' - Climbing, Hill walking etc ?

dinners

In Memoriam
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
I've seen a few posts since my time on TP relating to hill walking / climbing and (dare I use the phrase) Munro 'bagging'......

Being into the old hillwalking (in Scotland) myself I just wondered how many other like-minded folk there were out there.

I'm not neceseraily talking about photography although I suspect the two may go hand in hand on TP - just thought I'd ask.....(y)

I've done 46 of them, mostly up the west side of Scotland

quit about 15years ago - having developed asthma - and creaking knees :LOL:

have a great photo album of memories - all film prints

I'm a bit far south for Munro-bagging, but can be found stumbling around the Peak District when time allows. Done a fair amount of walking around the country as well, mainly in Snowdonia and the Lakes.
I'm trying to get the wife interested, and succeeding slowly, which should hopefully mean I can get out a bit more often this year (y)

I've done 46 of them, mostly up the west side of Scotland

quit about 15years ago - having developed asthma - and creaking knees :LOL:

have a great photo album of memories - all film prints

I don't have asthma to contend just a complete downturn in fitness - I just need to get out more regularly.

I'm a bit far south for Munro-bagging, but can be found stumbling around the Peak District when time allows. Done a fair amount of walking around the country as well, mainly in Snowdonia and the Lakes.
I'm trying to get the wife interested, and succeeding slowly, which should hopefully mean I can get out a bit more often this year (y)

You've done well to even get your wife partly interested.

I don't have asthma to contend just a complete downturn in fitness - I just need to get out more regularly..

yes - I did them whilst working - Monday mornings could hardly bend to tie my shoes...:D
I now have a pushbike for exercise - much easier on the joints

I'll probably manage a few trips over the coming weeks in the Glen Coe / Etive area then I've a week staying in Glenelg in a couple of months so I'm aiming for a long Cuillin day and possibly Knoydart.

I'll probably manage a few trips over the coming weeks in the Glen Coe / Etive area then I've a week staying in Glenelg in a couple of months so I'm aiming for a long Cuillin day and possibly Knoydart.

If you are fit, the Five Sisters of Kintail are a good slog - I tried several times but too much for me in one go!

Have done 4 on the North Ridge - superb vistas

If you are fit, the Five Sisters of Kintail are a good slog - I tried several times but too much for me in one go!

Have done 4 on the North Ridge - superb vistas

I did the 5 sisters when I was :thinking: 18 years old and you're right it's a long day. We did it east to west with the long walk back up Glen Shiel to the car.

I think Beinn Sgritheall might be my aim when I'm up there as it's close to the cottage and not too much of an expedition.

Skye will depend on whether I can hook up with some friends as the Cuillin aren't really apt for a 4-5 hour jaunt on my lonesome.

Last edited:
I'm planning on doing a few more this year having done a few a couple of years ago.

Not entirely sure how my knees will take it but we'll see!

Done about 200 of them. Stopped a few years ago.
Not doing any more - knees not up to it.
Low level walks for me now.

I'm planning on doing a few more this year having done a few a couple of years ago.

Not entirely sure how my knees will take it but we'll see!

Done about 200 of them. Stopped a few years ago.
Not doing any more - knees not up to it.
Low level walks for me now.

Funny how it always seems to be the knees :bang:

For me it's the coming down that kills the knees.

I'm around the 200 mark too and most of those I've done a few times. The ones I've not done tend to be because I've never really had any desire to them as I'm not really a list ticker.

Absolutely. The last few I've done I've really quite struggled on the way back down and have a walking pole to help take some of the strain off them.

I'm not even 29 for god's sake :(

I'm around the 200 mark too and most of those I've done a few times. The ones I've not done tend to be because I've never really had any desire to them as I'm not really a list ticker.

Yes, I have know a few folk who had knee problems.

Not remotely bothered about not finishing them. Never set out to do that. Perfectly happy getting a satisfying day out anywhere.
There are many hills and other walks that give better days out that some Munros.(y)

I'm a walker. My ex got me into it and (unlike her) it stayed with me :)

I'm very far south for the old Munroe bagging, though I've got about 20 under my belt mostly from walking the West Highlad Way a while back. I'm more a fan of North Wales (Tryffan -is- the best hill in the UK) and the lakes.

If you're thinking of making a trip south of the border give me a shout :)

M

I'm a walker. My ex got me into it and (unlike her) it stayed with me :)

I'm very far south for the old Munroe bagging, though I've got about 20 under my belt mostly from walking the West Highlad Way a while back. I'm more a fan of North Wales (Tryffan -is- the best hill in the UK) and the lakes.

If you're thinking of making a trip south of the border give me a shout :)

M

I'm from Warrington so I used to go to North Wales and the Lakes a lot before moving to Scotland.

I'd question whether Tryfan is the best hill in the UK but it is a good one. (y)

I've only done a couple of Munros so far, but have the pleasure of living near the Arrochar Alps and have climbed a selection of the local hills around there.

I recently had severe knee pain only on descents, a trip to the physio and insoles giving extra arch support has solved the problem - amazing result

Done a few Munros, Corbets, Grahams, loads of Wainwrights, Marilyns, Hewitts and Nuttalls! Been walking/climbing/hiking etc for about 40 years, and plan on doing something big for my 65th birthday! Going to spend my first pension payment (all of it) on a pub lunch for me and my two walking buddies! Slowing down a little now though!!

I've only done a couple of Munros so far, but have the pleasure of living near the Arrochar Alps and have climbed a selection of the local hills around there.

I was over that way recently climbing the Cobbler. Great hill.(y)

Back