My 1st Macro shot

Edit My Images
No
I took this the other week as I attempted to to do some mackro shots of a lilly.
I had brought the lily inside to get away from the wind and this little fella took a pit stop right in front of me.

I got 1 pic and he was off.

I have since discovered i did nearly everything wrong.
I did use a tripod but I did not lock the mirror up and i did not use a remote release.

I should get some good pics when i start doing things correctly.

small_wasp_copy.jpg

No need to use a tripod and remote release at 1/500 sec - I would have handheld personally.

Not a bad shot at all - it's unfortunate he was on white because it doesn't show black flies up very well. Looking at the EXIF, all settings seem correct apart from I'm not sure you needed to use F10 :thinking: But then again I'm not a macro person so I don't know these things :p

Very good torque.
You have all the detail in the right places.
All I would do is clone the spot just below and in front of its mouth.

(y)

f10 is fine. I normally use f11 or 13 to get some depth of field but not so small that the lens gets softer. looks good but maybe a little cramped in the frame. Bit more space at the top and right would help.

Hmmm not keen on torques siggy on his pic. :cautious:

:D

thanks for the replies

I had started at f2 but could not get DOF large enough, thought i must be doing somthing wrong.

the finished pic is larger but i cropped it and reduced quality so that i could upload the image onto here.

yes, i do need to clone/heal that spot out but i am still learning PS as well as photography, I never would have imagined there was so much to it. I am totaly hooked already!

@CT sorry, those are my initials.

That is soooo much better than my first attempts, well done! I'm off to do a bit more :exit:
:D :D :D

Nice start, you got it in focus and it's tough shooting on white so well done on that.

Thanks for the comments.

Focus was one of the things i got right due to an article which said to use Manual focus for macro shots.

Main problem is that I want to get closer to the subject than my EFS 60 will allow, so I have orderd an EF12 extension tube.

Considering the white which is a pain in the butt to shoot against you aint done a bad job of this, well done

Well done and good DoF. Get that on all your macros and you'll not go far wrong.
Keep up the good work.

thanks for the positive comments.
Why is it so hard against white? just because of exposure/WB?

Thanks for the comments.

Focus was one of the things i got right due to an article which said to use Manual focus for macro shots.

Main problem is that I want to get closer to the subject than my EFS 60 will allow, so I have orderd an EF12 extension tube.

There's also no harm in putting a 1.4x T/C in there too. I've used my EF-S60 with a 1.4xT/C and EF25 tube....no problem at all.

Bob

here are 2 pics I took today with an EF12 attached.
I took the pics handheld, shutter priority F10, @ 1/13 sec ......

If i had some where to host the pics I could show you a larger image, the detail is much better than without the EF12 but the shutter speed has suffered.

sm_wasp2_copy.jpg

sm_wasp1_copy.jpg

:eek: not bad!!! (y)

Thanks Ladybird, can't believe how well it turned out to say I was hand holding the camera at 1/13sec.

Blimey Torque, I couldn't shot at 1/13 you done well shooting at that speed and getting that. Use flash and don't do it again :p:LOL:

Blimey Torque, I couldn't shot at 1/13 you done well shooting at that speed and getting that. Use flash and don't do it again :p:LOL:

I had done some pics the day before at 1/125 and they were blurred,so i don't understand it myself?

I was at f10 and it was daylight, bright and the flash did pop up too? Is it anything to do with using the EF12 extension tube?

Back