My 1st studio shoot (more added)

all I can say is wow!!!! only other comment (it's not critisism) is the bra strap on shot number 2 otherwise they are the dog's danglies:clap:

Portraits ain't my field but they do look stunning to me(y)

They are lovely!....my favourite, although they are all good, would be number 1.

Right up my street!! That hair contrast perfectly with the black background! Love them !

Wow!

Excellent work, i'm so so envious.

Number 2 for me love the light behind her head.

Well done, you should be really proud of these. Number 2 is the one for me. How did you set this up? And with what kit?

Saul.

Like these a lot. Like the hair/rim in the second.

The first is sharp but not sure about the pose - elbow/forearm. But that's just my taste.

Lovely set

S

Very nice, well done, would have liked to have seen 1 the same pose without the arm
2 and 3 for me

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments everyone.

The eyes in the 1st one are like....pin sharp.

What kit was being used....

great shot also by the way....

Images 1, 2 and 3 I was using my 7D and a Canon 50mm f1.8.
Image 4 I was using my 7D and a Canon 90-300mm

Well done, you should be really proud of these. Number 2 is the one for me. How did you set this up? And with what kit?

Saul.
These 4 shots I used a Canon 430EX MKI firing into a gold umbrella set to 1/2 then with a 2nd flash that was a yongnuo set to I think 1/32 with nothing attached to it.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Images 1, 2 and 3 I was using my 7D and a Canon 50mm f1.8. Image 4 I was using my 7D and a Canon 90-300mm These 4 shots I used a Canon 430EX MKI firing into a gold umbrella set to 1/2 then with a 2nd flash that was a yongnuo set to I think 1/32 with nothing attached to it.

Can I ask what was your thinking for using a gold reflective umbrella? I've always used silver?

Just occasionally I see pictures that stop me dead.
These are those. Something to aim for.
wonderful.:clap:

Very nice indeed. I find the arm a little distracting in #1, love the hairlight in #2, #3 has it for me. Well done.

The arm position in no1 contributes to the slope of the shoulders.
I don't think it would look 'right' otherwise.

Superb shots matey - as already mentioned the bra strap in shot 2 is a minor point but apart from that they look very professional.. some of the best portrait shots I've seen on here recently (y)

I know bot all about portrait photography but they look bloomin excellent from where I'm standing!!

Unbelievable standard for your first go in a studio (y)

Elbows and under arms are always difficult. The other thing I noticed with the last one is her nail polish. It needs to be perfect if it is in shot. Easily fixed in PP though.

The processing and lighting on these is very nice.

I'm not keen on no 1 where the forearm spoils it. I really like no 2 and no 3 is pretty reasonable too. No 4 is all right but I'm not sure about the shoulders being so square on to the camera.

The penultimate one is let down by the eye position and the last one I'd definitely crop out the arm and armpit though this still leaves the problem of the left hand which probably needs to go too.

Very vivid and pleasing look to the lighting for sure.

Let me jump in on this forearm shot (#1).

Personally, I like it as it is but try this shot again next time with just one light, lighting the side of her face away from the forearm. You might find it gives an interesting look and takes the forearm away from what potentially looks like a distraction.

Back