Critique My A4 - Lightpainted

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I finally finished off my DIY lightbox so i thought id pop out for a test.

Ignor that my car is filthy ;)

Lightpainting Test
by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

This is 5 images merged, two for the car exterior, one for the interior, one for the sky and one for the brake lights.

Overall im happy with the light coverage, and i just think ill need to tweak the technique as i do more of these.

Id love to hear your thoughts

Mike

I think it would look better without the rear lights.

I think that the light could be brighter, that may however be personal taste, other than that is say it was successful, if the location and composition could do with a little work, but then I'm sure if this were anything but a test a lot more though would have gone into it :D

Agree with back light, would having the front sidelights on add anything? (other than the obvious lol)

Lightbox seems to give a good even light. Agree with others about the brake lights but will add that lighting the interior doesn't add much (I normally don't bother).

The lighting of the car is good, but is a tad dark on the front bumper and passenger side of the bonnet and roof line - its a good idea to do a few runs at varying heights with the light/angles - ensure all areas are lit and then compose in PP.

I had an A3 in the same colour, hid the dirt well ;)

When I did these my tutor always said they'd look better with the lights on, including the front. Good technique, makes the car stand out but the lighting looks unreal, from too many angles.

Ill do something about the rear lights, may just reduce the saturation. BUT this could be the last pic of the car as this happened while at work today :(

1451583_10152029082259402_1836375185_n.jpg

Ill do something about the rear lights, may just reduce the saturation. BUT this could be the last pic of the car as this happened while at work today :(

Doh! Think you may be able to clone some of it out in PS.

:exit:

lighting is a bit flat, and a few blown highlights so its not doing anything for me. unlucky mate.

First of all I am gutted about your car :( So sorry to see that!
Regarding the shot - I really like it. Yes the composition is not the best, but so what, this was a light test, so I'll coment on that. I really like your light painting job - no massive hotspots as I see with many light painting jobs, all equally spread, and like the interior job, important to me usually in light painting. I like the brake light since it adds a punch. Nice work, keep it up!

First of all I am gutted about your car :( So sorry to see that!
Regarding the shot - I really like it. Yes the composition is not the best, but so what, this was a light test, so I'll coment on that. I really like your light painting job - no massive hotspots as I see with many light painting jobs, all equally spread, and like the interior job, important to me usually in light painting. I like the brake light since it adds a punch. Nice work, keep it up!

Thank you

Yes it was a rushed shot so composition was not thought about.

I need to improve the box, as it leaks light out the back at the moment (as the card is more see through than i thought)

The re-edit is the one for me! such a shame that its no damaged! Hopefully you can get it repaired

The red of the rear lights in the first doesn't bother me, it's the fact the fronts aren't on. Lighting looks nice and even but isn't strong enough. I'd say you want four times more power in your light source so you gain two stops of light, then let one stop drop off again by taking a few steps further back from the car for a more even spread in a single pass (there's a tell-tale highlight below the crease on the doors and another on the windows).

It's just a scratch - Gives it a bit of character - leave it as it is

Looks better now.

Real shame about your car.

Re-edit is superb, the car, sky and as you mentioned darkening the foreground all work.

Nice! Makes me want to get out in the cold to try!!

Back