My assignment - results!

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I asked yesterday for assignments as I was bored and needed some creative exercise. Thanks to Minimeeze, Marianne and Hoodi who made suggestions :wave:

I went outside into a thunderplump and was not suitably attired so went to computer shop (nice people in Greig Street) on way off to have more discussions on my new mega-photo-processing PC (more later). Then the town (city) appeared to be ground to a halt with traffic so I took off to South of Inverness.

First up was to look for "a garden gate and path leading off" I came across this but was sure I would find something better (I didn't) :shrug: sorry Marianne.

IMG_9776.jpg

Then I drove below the viaduct carrying the trains south and decided to have a walk round. It had been a few years since I was here but I will go back!! Minimeeze suggested working to the competition theme (outside) so this was fair game. Here is one of the several I took.

IMG_9830.jpg

Hoodi suggested reflections but as there was little in the country to reflect on (apart from how good it was to get out of the office) I used my VW Van to give me another image of the viaduct.

IMG_9859_copy.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I need to start taking more photos with a brief in mind just to exercise the skills a little :ty:

aww...they're all good but I would crop out that overexposed bit of sky on my photo lol

All good mate (y)

This is the sort of thing we love. People getting the most out of the forum, and using it to further their photography :D

A great idea, asking the forums for inspiration, and I think it's worked a treat.
Anyone else fancy putting themselves to the challenge?

I love the second one. Some human interest would be good though. Someone about to jump from above the 4th archway, maybe? Then you could double it up as 'photo-journalism' as well as 'outside' for added versatility... :exit:

Nice pics, HUN! (y)

heh! Lovely, loving your take on the reflections :D

Yes, I think people popping up and saying "gimme an assignment!" is a fab idea :)

I would do just that but my walking is restricted.....now I have this New D50 must set myself or you can an assignment which will involve little walking..:help:

oldboy2000 said:
now I have this New D50 must set myself or you can an assignment which will involve little walking..:help:

Old boy. Maybe you can't get out but leave the sherry alone during the day, eh! ;) :D

Like the 2nd shot :)
At least you took the challenge and did something with it...unlike me who just sat at home all day yesterday whingeing cos I was bored :( It rained most of the day too... My camera hasn't seen the light of day for well over a month.

HIMUPNORTH said:
Old boy. Maybe you can't get out but leave the sherry alone during the day, eh! ;) :D

How about an interesting shot of a drop of sherry (maybe)

Pic not taken with D50 !!

brandymediumcs5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is better than Sherry !!!!

I'll be honest with you, i don't like any of them. But i do like that you wanted to get out there and shoot

So i'll set you a challange if you're willing to take it, take three shoots that say something about who you are. I'm not going to tell you what to shoot, as it's possible that you'll have no more interest in shooting that then i do in seeing the above. So lets see if your photographs can say something about you

Thanks for the feedback Sean. The weekend is fully taken up with Mountain Biking so that's what I will be shooting and as the weather looks like it might improve from Tuesday I will be trying to cadge a day off and go to the mountains to either fly or walk. That is what i am about and will be glad to share them when I get them.

The assignment request was towards the end of a week being entirely office based (not my preferred habitat) and I needed some creative exercise.

I realy don't like the first and the last is a bit of a forced issue but with a bit of a photoshop play I could change it to "trainspotter" which would add some spice.

The middle is not the best of bridge but I only had a chance to look at shots from about 10pm last night and as I start at 7am not much time was spent on them. Will happily share any that are better - Although not tonight as out with good lady :)

Cheers

Gary

There wasn't a great deal you could have done to make them any more interesting for me Gary, it's a matter of subject matter & there wasn't a great deal you could have done for me to see them any other way.

Cheers mate, and i would like to see you take those three shots i spoke of

Your challenge made me think Sean. That would be difficult for anyone to pull off - and the result would be open to interpretation. Don't think I could do it that's for sure.

Robert photographer is such an expressive art form if people actually want to use it to express themselves with it. Why not try pulling it off before you decide that you can't do it

It's the only reason i do it. to express how i see the world and my place in and with who i share it with.

Diane Arbus said that what we see is what we are and i believe in that for the most part

I've spent my working life dealing with exact defined things that can be understood and measured. I'm an engineer not an artist.

I understand the need to get away from settings and lens choices and be creative beyond solving an engineering type problem but it is a concept i struggle with to say the least :)

Why did Robert Capa go risk and lose his life to shoot in the battle field, while Ansel Adams went in to the canyons, one had a love of nature, the other had a drive for social change. Robert Capa was brave & questioning and a restless spirit, Ansel Adams was a more peaceful and gentle soul and that comes across in their work

Henrie Cartier Bresson once said that the world is falling to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks! But he was a very different animal to those two photographers and it's instantly recognisable in their work

I've spent most of my life day dreaming lol

Maybe that's what i'm doing now

HIMUPNORTH said:
Then I drove below the viaduct carrying the trains south and decided to have a walk round. It had been a few years since I was here but I will go back!!

That the one down the A9 or the one out by Culloden?

Sunnyside/Clava to be exact George. The one over the findhorn at Tomatin is not so pretty - square legs with metal bridge.

One of my friends once bungeed of it with a climbing rope - :wacky:

Sean. Social commentary is not my thing so I doubt I will impress you with anything cutting edge.

I marvel at the beauty of this Earth and try in my own inadequate way to capture some of that in my photography. I am no hippy; I run a business and have an active family life but photography provides me with an escape mechanism. I will try to give you photos that are me but I doubt they will happen off the cuff like this assignment which was really just a short personal challenge (about an hour and a half in total) on a day when work was just too dull :)

Back