My beloved ThomasCat :)

Tori

Suspended / Banned
Name
Tori
Edit My Images
Yes
After not so great attempts with 'birds' I bring you....

ThomasCat!!

Please comment, as these are the first two pictures I've actually been a bit more happy with :) Any suggestions as to how to improve will be greatly appreciated!

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

I quite like these Tori, normally I am not a fan of close cropping but it deffinitely works in this case, I think because you have used a fairly shallow depth of field by using f/5 it seems to have concentrated the picture on the face even more.
I would like to make a couple of suggestions, unlike the bird pics you did in poor light, where you needed to get the shutter speed up, the same problem wasnt present here. You could have reduced the ISO to probably 200, even 100, which would have lessened the BG noise, using flash you shouldnt have to change the other settings you have used.
Make sure you are focussing directly on the eye, it looks like you might have been on the fur just in front of it. Lastly, if you apply some sharpening (USM) in Elements, it will bring the pictures much more to life.
You have every right to be happier with these, they are good work and well done, improvements already (y)

A quick sharpen. If you want this removed, please say so, its no problem.

5412574337_a325429302_b.jpg

5410078717_912a2236f9_b.jpg

Last edited:
Love these two, the experssions make the shots as she/he looks deep in thought in #1 and longing to be outdoors in #2 with nice light on the eye :)

Trev, what did you do? It looks alot better. I did a bit of sharpening in my very old version of photoshop, but nothing like this. What did you do/use? Thanks :) (And can you do it to the first pic LOL)

Thanks Ryan. I'm a bit happier with one of these especially :)

Trev, what did you do? It looks alot better. I did a bit of sharpening in my very old version of photoshop, but nothing like this. What did you do/use? Thanks :) (And can you do it to the first pic LOL)
:) No problem, I have done the other one for you too, hope you like it.

What version of Photoshop are you using, you should be able to get this effect in most versions.

I use CS5, but you can do this in Elements as well.
In Elements go to enhanced, adjust sharpness. In Photoshop go to filter, sharpen, smart sharpen.

For these I set to 'remove Lens blur'. Amount 70%, and radius .8 pixel.

You can get similar effects by using 'Unsharp Mask', use the same settings but leave the threshold at 0 levels.

I use smart sharpen because it has slightly more control over the sharpening than USM but thats personal preference.

I hope this helps (y)

I have a REALLY old version on photoshop, and I mean really old lol. I think it's the very old photoshop 7.0. so all I get is 'sharpen' or 'sharpen edges' and that's it.

I have downloaded the free trial of photoshop lightroom, so I'm assuming I can find these features in that? I'm going to have an experiment with it this afternoon and see how I get on thanks :)

You can Tori, in the develop module... Tools are down the right hand side, look for sharpening and clarity, both will enhance.

Last edited:
Found both of those thanks Jon :) I've had a play, I don't understand alot of it, but i'll work on it.

I'm going to attempt to open some of my first RAW pics in Lightroom in a minute and hope they open. Because they don't in anything else on my laptop! ;-)

I'm going to attempt to open some of my first RAW pics in Lightroom in a minute and hope they open. Because they don't in anything else on my laptop! ;-)

You're quite welcome. Just make notes of the questions you come up with and i'll help you with them, and other stuff, on Saturday. In the meantime a Pizza and movie beckons so txt if you have any urgent issues.

:wave:

Well, I've not tweaked much in one new photo, just played really. I did (impressively) 'heal' some straggly hairs though, which I'm quite pleased about. More practice at this and i'm sure i'll get better! I don't think it's too bad. An improvement maybe...which is all I'm hoping for at the moment so i'm fairly happy :)
Oh...and I started another thread...My second kitty...Luna Moog :)

The sharpened versions really help to enhance already lovely shots.

Back