Beginner My best kestrel photos, so far

Two lovely shots Jason (y), the male possibly a tad under-exposed, looks like it could have done another 2/3rds of a stop plus on the ISO

Its very subjective but I'd have been tempted to clone the branch from the left hand side on the female :)

Cheers for the comments Phil, the photo would probably look better without the branch on the left but I don't like to edit my photos that much, if it was an unnatural distraction i probably would have tried to remove it. I think my eyes are a bit sensitive to light perhaps due to the extra hole in my eye and i seem to prefer pics that most people would consider under exposed, I would rather have a slightly under exposed pic than over exposed but I appreciate your input.

I've done a bit of editing, any better?

Attachments

• Kestrel Farlington Marshes brighter edit.JPG
    Kestrel Farlington Marshes brighter edit.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 26
you have caught some very nice colours in both the male and female and while both look fine, they would look even better with the exposure brightened by half a stop or so. The composition of the first is fine but the female is a bit too central and would look better with most of the left side of the canvas cropped so it appears she is looking into the frame

Wonderful shots Jason. Have you got any of the owls from Farlington yet ?
Unfortunately not. Have tried a few times and just not been lucky, missed them by about 30 minutes on one of our attempts, maybe next time!

you have caught some very nice colours in both the male and female and while both look fine, they would look even better with the exposure brightened by half a stop or so. The composition of the first is fine but the female is a bit too central and would look better with most of the left side of the canvas cropped so it appears she is looking into the frame
How's this?
31765224355_9e1b8f9f8a_c.jpg
Second kestrel perching photo - Copy[/url] by Jason Evans, on Flickr[/IMG] Second kestrel perching photo - Copy by Jason Evans, on Flickr

Jason, you've got 2 very fine shots there, both well executed at the shooting stage, but both need just a touch of TLC to really make them shine.

I'd done a quick report of your second before I went out earlier, and it's quite similar to what you've done with your second version, but I've left it a little looser - I might as well post it now for comparison!

31311099452_8ccea6aaae_cRP.jpg

The head angle giving us a look back makes this work extremely well for me.

The first needs a bit of attention in 2 areas. Again, it's a superb shot, but a little dark and there is a visible sharpening halo around the bird. That can sometimes be introduced by Flickr, so might be worth checking out your original. It also needs brightening up a bit. It does however have a very nice wing position, nice fanned tail and again, the all important look towards the camera.

Please post some more!

Mike

Jason, you've got 2 very fine shots there, both well executed at the shooting stage, but both need just a touch of TLC to really make them shine.

I'd done a quick report of your second before I went out earlier, and it's quite similar to what you've done with your second version, but I've left it a little looser - I might as well post it now for comparison!

View attachment 92079

The head angle giving us a look back makes this work extremely well for me.

The first needs a bit of attention in 2 areas. Again, it's a superb shot, but a little dark and there is a visible sharpening halo around the bird. That can sometimes be introduced by Flickr, so might be worth checking out your original. It also needs brightening up a bit. It does however have a very nice wing position, nice fanned tail and again, the all important look towards the camera.

Please post some more!

Mike
That looks good, how did you manage to move it without cropping as much as I did?

I cheated!

In PS or Elements (and probably other editors) you can add canvas to the frame, then there are a couple of ways of filling in the new space that isn't in your original. If you have one of those programs let me know and I'll talk you through it - its really easy, especially with a plain background like this.

Mike

Both edits are a big improvement Jason (y)

Fabulous Jason also lovely work from mike on post cracking to see and read. I find these guys hard even though they are everywhere ,hmm owls:D best not go there maybe next year:rolleyes:
Stu

I cheated!

In PS or Elements (and probably other editors) you can add canvas to the frame, then there are a couple of ways of filling in the new space that isn't in your original. If you have one of those programs let me know and I'll talk you through it - its really easy, especially with a plain background like this.

Mike
I don't have PS or Elements. I use Canon digital photo professional ver 4 and also windows live photo gallery. I have still to get to grips with the Canon software, some of it is a little bit technical for me, the windows live one is a lot more easier to use, but is rather limited on what you can do.

Cool Jason made up for you mate,maybe we'll get a chance over chrimbo,We know they are there and see them oft,but almost always the light has gone for pics.

Buddy I only use DPP 4 at the mo have a look here http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300015460/01/dpp-4-0-00-w-im-en.pdf it's a cool RAW converter but sadly everything is global think there is also an update recently added.

lovely images mate Kes is a passion of mine amongst others:D

Stu

Back