My first attempts at droplet photos

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
11May_reddrops_2_293_400x400_.jpg

11May_reddrops_3_276_640x427_.jpg

It gets quite addicitive

The second one's fantastic...brilliant...!!!

Sorry, can I just ask something being new..i have never tried water drops, when attempting water shots, do you set shutter to fast continuous mode? Thanks..

It's been a real learning curve,
originally tried in good light with a single flash on high speed synch 1,000 second exposure, have now moved to a different approach,

Use the flash to control the exposure as it is far quicker than the camera shutter, so my set up is in a darkened/dim room I have a back flash through a sheet of plastic underlay, acts as a diffuser, and a side flash aimed at the droplet.
Flash are set to 1/32, shutter 1/250 and aperture F16.
Built a frame to hold syringe so that drops will land in exactly same place to ensure focus and dof.
Then its pot luck, seems like hundreds of shots to get a few really good ones. Am trying to get the collision shots but this is really difficult to manupulate the water flow to get the results.
Have seen some fantastic images on flickr from practioners like Corrie, who are now using electronic timers etc..
It is addictive,

Neil.

Thanks for a very detailed description Neil. Much appreciated...guess I am going to be a while to get here :)..still playing with my pop-up flash..but really hoping to get there..and yes, a micro-sec later on the third pic would have been at a different level :)

That last one is really nice(y)

I don't want to disappoint but the drop at the top has formed from the spike and is heading up not down. The trick to collisions is to get such a fast drip rate (almost a constant flow say 15 drops per sec) that the next downward drop hits the sphere on the top of the spike. Ash has writtten a good tutorial in the tutorials section HTH;)

2nd one is great. i really like it, think i will have a shot at this myself, never tried it before!

What kind of liquid you have used here? I like the colours it has produced

Many thanks for the comments, I will certainly have a look at the tutorial, will need a steady hand on the syringe for the drop rate, but now I have a target, advice appreciated.

The liquid is very sophisticated, Have a metal baking tray 2ft by 1 ft, lined with a black bin-liner and then filled with 4-5cm tap water. The black background creates nice reflections. I then use water in the syringe coloured with food dye. A 45-50cm drop to water surface.
Experimenting also with different gels on the rear flash to colour the surface of the water. Lots of experimentation.
The skill will be in managing the drip rate to create the effects, any advice on diong it manually without electronic timers etc...?

Neil

Really good shots there
and a good account of how you did them
should make for a flood of water drips shots shortley :)

Very nice images there, good start (y)

It's been a real learning curve,
originally tried in good light with a single flash on high speed synch 1,000 second exposure, have now moved to a different approach,

Use the flash to control the exposure as it is far quicker than the camera shutter, so my set up is in a darkened/dim room I have a back flash through a sheet of plastic underlay, acts as a diffuser, and a side flash aimed at the droplet.
Flash are set to 1/32, shutter 1/250 and aperture F16.
Built a frame to hold syringe so that drops will land in exactly same place to ensure focus and dof.
Then its pot luck, seems like hundreds of shots to get a few really good ones. Am trying to get the collision shots but this is really difficult to manupulate the water flow to get the results.
Have seen some fantastic images on flickr from practioners like Corrie, who are now using electronic timers etc..
It is addictive,

Neil.

Yeh that's exactly what I do. Corrie is fabulous, as are many other droplet artists on flickr, but she also started out without a timer and all her previous work (which is amazing) is done by hand.

11May_drops6_237_500x333_.jpg

An interesting one from last night, just one more fracion of a second and it would have been a nice collision!!

Neil

I don't want to disappoint but the drop at the top has formed from the spike and is heading up not down.

Just what I was going to say ;)

Ash has writtten a good tutorial in the tutorials section HTH;)

Hehe, thanks you! :)

Back