My first days shooting in manual mode (56k warning)

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I went out today and kept my camera in manual mode all day, I wanted to practise all the things I'd read recently about setting the exposure properly and taking reading from the environment, unfortunately as soon as I got out with my camera I forgot it all

I used the cameras meter for most of the shots but where I thought it might produce the wrong exposure I took reading from different spots which I thought equated to mid tones .. tarmac seems quite good, I must remember to use that at my next bike racing event.

I usually have my camera in aperture mode and let the camera set the shutter speed, quite a few time today I forgot I was in manual mode and just clicked away without checking the meter, needless to say I had a lot of binners

Here is the pick of the bunch.

Celtic Cross
Celtic-Cross.jpg

A close up for the hard of seeing (like my missus)
Cross-closeup.jpg

Church Street, Eyam
Church-Street-Eyam.jpg

Eyam Church
Eyam-Church.jpg

Eyam-Church-Doorway.jpg

Shop side
Shop-end.jpg

Waiting for a bus
Waiting-for-the-bus.jpg

And then there was three
3-Waiting-for-the-bus.jpg

We went out onto the moors and this is where I really struggled, one in judging whether the meter would produce and acurate reading and two what to use as a target for a meter reading .. been and bought a grey card now.

Big stones
Big-Stone.jpg

Stoney-Path.jpg

While wandering around today I realised I need a replacement for my 28-105 as it's a soft as a baby's bum, I also need a wide-angle and a macro for some close-ups. Trying to explain this to the missus was hard work especially when I told here the cost involved ( and that's after I halved the cost ) so I had to resort to threats, I told her that I wouldn't take her out on the bike to any more bike racing meets and that seemed to work.

Anyway enough of my ramblings I'm going to try again tomorrow and see what happens.

nice set neon, wife and i were there a month back, but never got around to seeing the big stones though, we were going to go to Curber edge, you been there, but went here instead.
TFS

I think you've done very well on manual mate.

One thing I learnt when I got the 30D, I started learning more about neutral tones (to make the use of spot metering). One thing I learnt is that most of 'natures greens' are neutral tones :)

Nice collection - looks like your getting the hang of this manual lark (y)

Quite like the "Shop side" shot and the "Waiting for a bus" (think you should lose the tree in this shot though).

:)

Warspite: I think you are right about the tree
Waiting-for-the-bus-cropped.jpg

Marcel: Funny as that's what I found out today but the book I had read said you should under expose by -2/3 if you use greenary for metering, when I did all the images were a tad underexposed.

Back