My first Dragon Whoop Whoop !

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
So chuffed I got this as I havent seen any - this is my first spotting, let alone getting it on camera. I made sure I got as many shots as I could before it buggered off.
F10, 125th sec, Canon 600d, 105mm macro lens, pringles diffuser, ISO 400, all manual and hand held.

1.. As soon as I spotted it, I didnt think "oh i'll take the raynox off and get a shot full bodied" - wanted to, but I knew I had limited time, especially with my dog bumping into things (the huge lump) so just made sure I started off as far away as possible, with the raynox and macro lens on so you can see it was a big bigger - this was as far as I go get away from it, so once I started shooting, I just got closer and closer, adjusting the focus so I could get bigger and bigger, my final shots would have been the full thing without the raynox on, must have been 4 inches long. Unusual colours too, compared to what I have seen elsewhere on TP so maybe its something a bit different?
14835929864_d9d4fe3034_b.jpg

2.. Not cropped so got in closer and adjusted focus ring.
14838300585_494752115d_b.jpg

3.. A nice B&W version of the above image
14858166073_6cd7f03284_b.jpg

4.. Cropped in that sucker to see what detail we get on the 600d
14835929874_83393ea82f_b.jpg

5.. A nice juicy B&W version of the above cropped head.
14651652079_3ee4ee136c_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :) am well happy with these :) :) Probably never see one again (first time in 42 years so... maybe when Im 84 :D)

Nice...especially #4!! :)

Super and well done on getting your first, have to agree re the mono conversions.

Very nice detail in No4 Carl, the b/w doesn't do it for me.

Jesus Carl for your first Dragon these are fantastic... I like the mono conversions think a little more tweaking is required to separate the colours from it other (in other words same grey)

On my bike ride tonight I had one flying up the side of me planning to go out tomorrow eve try and shot it... wont get inflight as its in the woods and my ISO would have to be too high (need the 6d or 5d mk3 :arghh:) but could try and get a landed one with a mock up of the pringles diffuser.

My one is going to have the octobox polaroid flashgun diffuser on the end so I have a little more flexibility in it. Probably diffuse it on end of pringles and the softbox layer obviously has it.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! ENVIOUS!!!!... and the Crop in #4 is outstanding.

Well done mate. Nailed it!

Ps, I kinda like the B/W. It's weird, a little quirky but I can see the appeal.

The biggest Dragonfly is a Blue Emperor - up to 84mm long - say 3 and a quarter inches
Hawkers are a little small

from my limited knowledge it looks like an immature male Blue Emperor Dragonfly - from your image, the leading edge of the upper wing and that yellow "Y" bit at the front of the thorax, plus it is the only Anax that is seen in the UK

Great shots by the way Carl, but a full body would have helped with the ID

Last edited:
Well done Carl amazing shots especially for your first dragonfly
my favourite is the second one perfect portrait shot
I think its a Common Darter but not sure need a side on veiw for iD

Very nice Carl and I like the mono shots too.

Thanks everyone, most appreciated for the comments. B&W seems to be a 50/50 some like, some dont hence I put up both, but good to see a mix of opinions on it (y)

The biggest Dragonfly is a Blue Emperor - up to 84mm long - say 3 and a quarter inches
Hawkers are a little small

from my limited knowledge it looks like an immature male Blue Emperor Dragonfly - from your image, the leading edge of the upper wing and that yellow "Y" bit at the front of the thorax, plus it is the only Anax that is seen in the UK

Great shots by the way Carl, but a full body would have helped with the ID

I know, I really wished I had time to take the raynox off before it flew away, but Im glad I did get plenty of shots first up close, now I know its there, there might be others so will have to venture over the fence and hopefully not fall into the stream :whistle:

well done Carl for the 1st attempt its a stunning set mate

Les ;)

I know, I really wished I had time to take the raynox off before it flew away, but Im glad I did get plenty of shots first up close, now I know its there, there might be others so will have to venture over the fence and hopefully not fall into the stream :whistle:

Please get wife to film... :)

Thanks everyone, most appreciated for the comments. B&W seems to be a 50/50 some like, some dont hence I put up both, but good to see a mix of opinions on it (y)

been there done that :D:D:D

Wow! Remarkable shots, the detail is amazing, and of course you have the lighting spot on.

Beautiful work Carl!

Simply put excellent, really really excellent! Not only your first but what a first :)

Wow! Remarkable shots, the detail is amazing, and of course you have the lighting spot on.

Beautiful work Carl!

Thanks Timmy, lucky I think, sunlight was nice around 5.45pm (sun was on my back so helped a lot)

Simply put excellent, really really excellent! Not only your first but what a first :)
Cheers sharky, probably the last time I see one as well lol, but am glad I got it on my "done it" list :)

Back