My first engagment shoot - Baz & VIckie

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

Ok, here goes. *GULP*. My first engagement style shoot. I realise the processing won't be to everyones taste and i realise I may have to get some tougher skin to take the C&C, but there are some valuable members here and I do want to improve so I guess this is the only way to do it, right?

There's also a link to the BLOG post (which I am still learning/editing/discovering) here if you care to look. :)

http://tinyurl.com/np5oc7s

Lovely! Lots of great pics on your blog! Big fan of the processing too! The only pic that niggles me is the one of the feet... which would be great, except for it looks like he's stepped in some dog muck lol....:)

Bloody hell Gaz how can you produce such awesome work on your 1st pre-wedding shoot?! These are better than I can do and I've been doing this for 3 years now!

I agree about the 1st pic with the hair over the face and 3rd from last his shoulder position looks odd and uncomfortable, but apart from that it's almost perfect.

LOVE the processing too!!!

Processing is good - are you aiming for a consistent style in your work?

I like the big broad wide shooting but some nice tight intimate stuff would be good to mix it up with.

Are you shooting 2 cameras?

I think youve done a good job. Maybe could add some more closeups and id get rid of the first pic on the blog - her hair is covering her face.

Thank you for your comments. Your right about the close ups, will definitely work on that in the future. I was on the fence about the first one but a few opinions here suggest it should go so I probably will.

Some lovely images on your blog....(I also agree about the first one).

Thank you. Point noted about the first image. *now removed*

Lovely! Lots of great pics on your blog! Big fan of the processing too! The only pic that niggles me is the one of the feet... which would be great, except for it looks like he's stepped in some dog muck lol....:)

THank you :) It was a little muddy in general but I do see what you mean. Glad you like the processing. It was an area I wasn't sure about.

Bloody hell Gaz how can you produce such awesome work on your 1st pre-wedding shoot?! These are better than I can do and I've been doing this for 3 years now!

I agree about the 1st pic with the hair over the face and 3rd from last his shoulder position looks odd and uncomfortable, but apart from that it's almost perfect.

LOVE the processing too!!!

Thank you for the kind comments Andy. I am sure they aren't quite that good but I realy appreciate the kind words and the help along the way. :)

The couple will be chuffed with them.

Processing is awesome Gaz - they look really classy. Bravo mate!

Thank you :)

Nice set, I really like PP

Thank you :)

Processing is good - are you aiming for a consistent style in your work?

I like the big broad wide shooting but some nice tight intimate stuff would be good to mix it up with.

Are you shooting 2 cameras?

Thank you :) I am hoping to develop a consistent style, yes. Especially with this kind of work. Do you think it is/isn't consistent by the way?

No, just one camera here but a mixture of 35mm and 85mm.

I was going to slowly edge away from this style of processing for something a bit more 'normal', contrasty and bright, but a lot of people seem to like it so may just continue and evolve it and hopefully improve. I am still on the fence! Some days I really like it, some days I want to get away from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good set if a little repetitive, too many full body shots IMO. The only one I don't really like is the BW with her hand on his back - hand/wrist looks unnatural and uncomfortable.

This is consistent as a set (in both style and pp style) it's more the cross over between shoots that it was meaning.

The 35/85 is an ideal combination I reckon. It'd be much more fluid with a second body I think. I know my shooting is.

I know how you mean with the processing. I second guess myself ever 5 minutes. Happy with my latest effort but no doubt I'll chop and change.

Gareth, lovely set there and sure the couple will be very happy. The processing is really nicely done and I think it's a distinctive style which many people like at this particular point in time.

My only general critique would be a similarity between the images, a bit more variety would be nice but that's not to the detriment of the shoot, I make the comment in the hope of helping you to make your next set even better.

I will also comment on the ring shot - it doesn't work for me, I can see what you were aiming for but would like to see the ring more of a focus in the shot. When I first looked at the photo my eye was drawn towards the shoulder & back of the guy's head.

Other than that, good work, keep it up!

Thank you for the kind comments Andy. I am sure they aren't quite that good but I realy appreciate the kind words and the help along the way. :)

No honestly mate for a 1st go these are like ridiculously good, and if I'd produced them I'd be delighted. I agree with comments that some closer up too would make a more rounded set but keep this up and I'll be coming to you for help! Can't believe you nearly jacked it in a month or so back when you're capable of this!

No honestly mate for a 1st go these are like ridiculously good, and if I'd produced them I'd be delighted. I agree with comments that some closer up too would make a more rounded set but keep this up and I'll be coming to you for help! Can't believe you nearly jacked it in a month or so back when you're capable of this!
This
I've been telling you long enough, there ought to be drugs you take to rid you of self doubt. A little bit is healthy, it pushes us to get better, but there's a tipping point where it becomes destructive.

Fantastic set, I won't critique individually, but I'd like to see more variety, but honestly if I'd delivered them I'd be more than happy.

Thank you for the comments. Still unsure how to multi quote on the iPad so apologies for not doing that now. The back/ring shot, I absolutely agree, it took me a while to get them into this position and to be honest, I still wasn't happy with it but it's the best I was going to get I think. That's not to make excuses, but they admitted themselves that they weren't the most relaxed/comfortable having their photo taken. I think that's why there is a lack of closer shots. People interaction/directing/posing is something I am constantly trying to work on.

What more can I say other than to repeat what's already been said scared it will make you 'big - headed' :D joking.

Seriously you've done really good & I'm a big fan of this softer looking PP. Bet you'll not want to say what you have done :)

This
I've been telling you long enough, there ought to be drugs you take to rid you of self doubt. A little bit is healthy, it pushes us to get better, but there's a tipping point where it becomes destructive.

Fantastic set, I won't critique individually, but I'd like to see more variety, but honestly if I'd delivered them I'd be more than happy.

Thank you Phil. Yes, more variety will definitely be something I will work on for the next one. :)

We're all working on that!

People arn't automatically natural in front of a camera and it's a skill that takes time.

True, they aren't, but I know a couple of local pro's who don't seem to feel it's a valuable part of the toolbox. They get the work because the photos are very good, but I know for a fact that their people skills on a wedding day are not the best.

What more can I say other than to repeat what's already been said scared it will make you 'big - headed' :D joking.

Seriously you've done really good & I'm a big fan of this softer looking PP. Bet you'll not want to say what you have done :)

A big head? You don't really know me do you? :LOL: Not much chance of that happening as some of the other folk here will testify.

Thank you for the compliments. The PP is bugging me even though it seems to get some compliments but the more I shoot like this, the more I will have to stick with it. I feel in a tricky spot with regards to that.

Why wouldn't I want to say what I have done? I took one of the 'film style' presets that I liked then adjusted it to how I liked and so it wasn't the same as everyone who just clicks the preset and leaves it. I added contrast, removed all the fake grain, adjusted the shadows, highlights and tone curve slightly so it was more personal and more to my taste. All pretty basic LR adjustments.

A few months ago I stupidly dumped all my presets including many I had made/saved thinking I knew more & would start again from scratch. However that may have been an error & I will end up retrieving them from my backup hard drive & modifying some of the better ones. Time consuming this PP :LOL:

Hi Gaz,

There's nothing wrong with your photography that's for sure.

BUT, this is a engagement shoot right? This couple look like it's there first date. I'm primarily concerned with their hand placement. Get them to touch each other more. A hand on the other persons leg, not their own. There's a couple of shots of her leaning back against a tree and him standing facing her. His position/pose suggests he can't stand to be near her. His feet are also very static like he's taken root. In general their poses a very static, try bending the knees (especially the girl) and get him to put one foot slightly further forward than the other.

I think the last two images sum up poor hand placement and static posing.

Probably the best of the bunch is the shot where they appear to be rubbing noses. In this one I can actually believe they enjoy each other's company.

As I say, the photography skills are there to see, you just need to work on directing, posing and interacting with your client.

Last edited:
Hi Gaz,

There's nothing wrong with your photography that's for sure.

BUT, this is a engagement shoot right? This couple look like it's there first date. I'm primarily concerned with their hand placement. Get them to touch each other more. A hand on the other persons leg, not their own. There's a couple of shots of her leaning back against a tree and him standing facing her. His position/pose suggests he can't stand to be near her. His feet are also very static like he's taken root. In general their poses a very static, try bending the knees (especially the girl) and get him to put one foot slightly further forward than the other.

I think the last two images sum up poor hand placement and static posing.

Probably the best of the bunch is the shot where they appear to be rubbing noses. In this one I can actually believe they enjoy each other's company.

As I say, the photography skills are there to see, you just need to work on directing, posing and interacting with your client.

Thank you Ryan. I absolutely agree with what you say. I honestly don't think they were too comfortable with the whole 'showing affection' thing. As I say above, posing/directing is something I really want to work on and have a ore wedding shoot later this week so will take all the points on board for that.

Very good Gareth!
You will get couples who are more extrovert than others, will get into the zone very quickly and this will produce great images almost effortlessly. Then you will get couples on the shy spectrum who need time to 'let you in' and show their emotions. I always take my time with such couples, talk a lot and try to find something in common before we actually start the session. Create a genuine bond, become their friend, put the camera away. Patience always pays off.

Very good Gareth!
You will get couples who are more extrovert than others, will get into the zone very quickly and this will produce great images almost effortlessly. Then you will get couples on the shy spectrum who need time to 'let you in' and show their emotions. I always take my time with such couples, talk a lot and try to find something in common before we actually start the session. Create a genuine bond, become their friend, put the camera away. Patience always pays off.

Thank you Tommy. Your absolutely right. Putting the camera away is something I'd heard before but to be honest I'd forgotten about until now! Will definitely try it next time I get a couple who are more shy and introverted.

Pretty good stuff. With regards to image 1, always take a look at the couple before taking the shot to make sure that there is some contact between them

look great. nice personal feel to them
maybe they were a little nervous in front of the camera, thinking about Ryan's comments but if they're just that bit more comfy in their own skin on the day because of the shoot, then great job.

Pretty good stuff. With regards to image 1, always take a look at the couple before taking the shot to make sure that there is some contact between them

Thanks.

Lovely set. Was that done in light room? I'd love to learn to process PP like this with a few pics ive taken recently. I've got both photoshop and Lightroom, so can anyone reccomend any tutorials?

Thank you. Yes, all PP done in LR.

look great. nice personal feel to them
maybe they were a little nervous in front of the camera, thinking about Ryan's comments but if they're just that bit more comfy in their own skin on the day because of the shoot, then great job.

Thank you. :)

Back