My first go at a homes studio shoot.

Name
Zoe
Edit My Images
Yes
Please don't be too mean! :LOL:

Here's a couple of pics from my first try at a shoot using some home studio equipment. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out and the little girl's mum loved them. I didn't light it as well as I could have so I've upped the brightness quite a bit so that's definitely something to bear in mind for next time.

3482507353_51db9f7d2a.jpg

2. I know the flower ischopped off in but I hadto snapitquickly before she stood up and started running around again :LOL:
3483312410_5058b5e81a.jpg

3483486224_49bcebe9fa.jpg

3482665835_f1dc88b024.jpg

I have my little, (and I mean little) niggles on each one, but they all work together wonderfully as a set, and I bet the mum loved them too! :clap:

I think no.3 is the pick of the bunch.
Id have dodged out the grey in the corner then use the white colour picker in levels to white out the BG.

3483486224_49bcebe9fajpg.jpg

Damn good effort for first time though!

I'm not sure how constructive that is Dee, but I guess if only little niggles then hey :LOL:

Firstly, well done! This age of child is a nightmare to keep remotely where you would like them to be and once there kept for more than a second :clap:

As for crit, it's all minor from me...

#1 the bubble just beside and in front of her eye appears to be the focus point as her face is a little soft. I think that the mono conversion helps to disguise this though.
#2 Saturation is just a little too much on the hands and a bit of detail is lost in the reds. Clipped flower noted already of course, but I don't think that's a big thing at all either.
#3 I love (y)
#4 A bit of PP on the sheet folds would bring this one back up for me.

Nicely done, and for a first studio attempt I think it's damn good! (y)

Edit:
Forgot to say a bit more distance between her and the BG in #1 would have been perfect, just to remove the shadow

Last edited:
Ah thanks so much! The creases in the backdrop really annoy me but I don't know how to get rid of them - apart from buying a better backdrop :LOL:

3 is my favourite too.

Thanks for the replies, the mum's friend has just contacted me about photographing her son so we'll see how that one turns out!

Nice set, the white balance looks off on the last one though.

well done on a first attempt(y)

Thanks V8 burble, I hadn't noticed the hands. I'll see if I can sort that out.

With the bubble I found it so, so hard to get a shot with her face in focus. I think next time I'll use less bubbles.

Thanks for your reply.

I have my little, (and I mean little) niggles on each one, but they all work together wonderfully as a set, and I bet the mum loved them too! :clap:
(y) my thoughts also.

v8burble has covered most of the bits and pieces (y)

welcome to tp :wave:

I look forward to seeing more from you

md(y)

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your comments. I dithered for ages posting these becasuse I was so nervous. :LOL: What a wuss!!!

What a wuss indeed!

Honestly, my niggles seemed pointless, cos I would really be nitpicking, so I didnt bother (y)

I struggle with the creases as well. I am thinking about using a paper backdrop. They are impossible to avoid when you have a child playing on cloth. I find it easier to leave them and make it look deliberate :) I also use bubbles, they look great on a darker backdrop.

Great shots by the way. I like them all but No3 really stands out.

I really like No2 - I also like the creases in the cloth in it - they make it a bit different from the usual washed out white backgrounds that are in vogue... (y)

Back