My first goes at Macro

Welcome to the mad world of macro.... soon to learn that you didn't need a macro lens ;) @Carlh

But as you have got one very good starting set exposure could do with a boost on most. But you seem to have nailed focus bar #1 where you would expect to have in focus so good job.

Last edited:
But you seem to have nailed focus bar #1 where you would expect to have in focus so good job.
?

This is something I found, the dof is so small I couldn't get the whole thing in focus so I went for (what I assume are) it's eyes. I tried ramping the aperture up but that didn't seem to make much difference, it was still working with a tiny dof. Is there something I'm missing here?

?

This is something I found, the dof is so small I couldn't get the whole thing in focus so I went for (what I assume are) it's eyes. I tried ramping the aperture up but that didn't seem to make much difference, it was still working with a tiny dof. Is there something I'm missing here?

#1 is odd yes on the size posted it looks as if focus is a tad in front of eyes and a little on antenna which tend to lend itself to say the eyes are at the back of the focal plane. Though on this image I can't work out where the focal plane band is its very oddly shaped.

For macro work I would suggest you aim for f11 as a starting point on larger things such as spider f8. Macro is hard so dont worry you will get there.

Fantastic start and what a lovely coloured shield bug.
Welcome Sandy :wave:

#1 is odd yes on the size posted it looks as if focus is a tad in front of eyes and a little on antenna which tend to lend itself to say the eyes are at the back of the focal plane. Though on this image I can't work out where the focal plane band is its very oddly shaped.

For macro work I would suggest you aim for f11 as a starting point on larger things such as spider f8. Macro is hard so dont worry you will get there.

Ok, much higher than I had thought then. These were shot around f7.1 which I thought was high enough. I'll try working at smaller apertures, thanks :)

welcome Sandy :) and nice work, you'd probably find it hard to get decent DOF if using natural light above F8 as bryn points out but I love the spider on the side in the 4th image (y) and the bokeh in the 3rd image, lovely colours in the background there :)

Look forward to seeing more macro images from yourself :) its a fun place :)

Ok so I tried shooting at f13 (still ambient light, I bumped the iso to 3200) and shot at around 1/200 and got this
View attachment 20650

Which I quite like, the dof is much better but if you zoom in to 100% there is slight motion blur (the leaf was blowing in the wind) obviously I can increase my shutter speed and use external lighting but I just wondered what speed you guys usually shoot at hand held?

I'm discovering this! Lots of missed focus shots when stuff is moving about.

Let me tell you how I get my incredibly sharp beautiful macro shots - I take hundreds (literally!) and bin the bad ones - ;) simples.

Back