Beginner My first home studio effort

Edit My Images
Yes
Finally got chance to have a go with the new lighting and bits and pieces. Portraits are way outside my comfort zone! These are best of my efforts so far. Favour for a friend.

I'd greatly appreciate pointers from anyone who would like to offer advice.

Cheers.

For a first attempt, this is really good.

Lighting is well managed, flattering, and a nice ratio between key light and any fill makes them appealing. The background is considered and there's no unsightly shadows from the main subjects lights spilling onto it.

I would suggest the upper hand should rest a little lower on the bump in a more tender, loving way, instead of looking like she's pulling the material back to emphasise the bump. That's a small little niggle though.

All in all,,, nice work.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Pookey. To be quite honest, she WAS pulling the material back intentionally lol! It was a crinkle type dress which didn't really show the bump at all well. Might see if I can reshoot in alternative clothing but this sort of fitted the "earth mother" look I was going for. Point taken about the hand.

Very encouraging, thank you once again.

cracking first effort, I started studio photography many years ago and it like a bug once you first start good luck ;-)

Back