Beginner My first Model shoot

When posting for critique you're right in less is probably more it's easier to focus in on 1 or 2 images to give more detailed critique. That said if you are trying new ideas out a similar strategy is probably best for the shoot, choose one or two looks and really work them to get the shot you want. I'm a bit adhd in my approach to things and am guilty of rushing a lot but I always find personally if I plan exactly what I'm looking for before hand I always end up with a better image.

With image 3 if you're doing this type of idea you've ran in to a few issues. The biggest one imo are if you're shooting with speedlights you've got the wrong time of day, it takes a lot of power to overcome the sun even when it's overcast and it's forced you to keep the shadows too light for the look you want. The white balance isn't quite right either and you've ended up with as @Sir SR says a pinky purply look instead of that orange blue cross that's more traditional. This type of lighting can work better as well when you've got something in the scene to motivate the light and give it a reason for being different.

I'm not sure it would definitively help these but consider allowing people to edit your images, there shouldn't be anyone who'll do anything maclicious with them but it can help to show a visual to demonstarte a potential fix.

Thanks. I know what you are saying, in #3 I was going for theatrical rather than trying to overpower the sun, I can see it hasn't worked that well. I am familiar with mixing speedlights and sunsets and I've had reasonable success at that, just not in portraiture.

Brian, the basic issue is your lack of experience (and the models). It looks like you've approached the shoot without any clear ideas once he was in front of the camera. That's fine if you just want to practice your lights, of course.

When we do the strobist meet I'll show you how to engage with the model and direct them, but in the meantime think of a shoot you'd like to try and then look for a location and model. I know it's tough at first, but having some kind of concept will give you confidence.

Last edited:
Brian, that basic issue is your lack of experience (and the models). It looks like you've approached the shoot without any clear ideas once he was in front of the camera. That's fine if you just want to practice your lights, of course.

When we do the strobist meet I'll show you how to engage with the model and direct them, but in the meantime think of a shoot you'd like to try and then look for a location and model. I know it's tough at first, but having some kind of concept will give you confidence.

Does it look like that really? I'm a bit shocked as I had a long list of different ideas and lighting set ups and I felt I'd got fairly close with most of them, even if they were "flawed".

Oh well. :(

Brian, they're not terrible by any means, and for a first effort I commend you. I'm offering crit based on where you want to be. As someone else mentioned, there's no clear idea if these are supposed to be environmental portraits, fashion or catalogue images.

We're not allowed to comment on the models except technically, so all I can say is that Bobby is not a fashion model so that leaves the other two possibilities.

I think that it's GREAT that you had clear ideas. Okay, that's not immediately apparent, but, as I said, that's largely down to inexperience. The best thing you can do is look at them again in a while when the emotional attachment has diminished and see what you can learn. This way on your next shoot you can think about how to make them more dynamic.

Does it look like that really? I'm a bit shocked as I had a long list of different ideas and lighting set ups and I felt I'd got fairly close with most of them, even if they were "flawed".

Oh well. :(

Not really, I think. You've certainly managed to execute your list of lighting ideas but I suspect that more energy went into the technical stuff than the creation of the images. It's taken me a disappointingly long time to realise that modelling is a real skill and top quality models are pretty rare. Without one 80% of your effort will need to go into coaching, directing, posing & entertaining the model you do have.

I suspect that you may also have been rushing; most newcomers to working with models do. Models are used to taking the time to get everything right; it's not as if you're shooting a paying member of the public.

How long was your shoot? fwiw I reckon on one distinct setup & outfit per hour for relatively straightforward stuff, longer if it gets complicated. Depending on how a model moves and poses and the style of the shoot I'll spend up to 15 minutes on variations of a given pose, again longer if things get complicated.

(At a club night or group shoot where you only get a few minutes with a model it's different of course).

The best thing you can do is look at them again in a while when the emotional attachment has diminished and see what you can learn. This way on your next shoot you can think about how to make them more dynamic.

Yes, for sure. But I did put a fair bit of preparation into these so it's a bit of a blow to rerad that it doesn't look like it. I'm not too upset, just a bit shocked, I would rather have honest negatives than false positives any day (y)

I suspect that more energy went into the technical stuff than the creation of the images. <snip>

I suspect that you may also have been rushing; <snip>

How long was your shoot? fwiw I reckon on one distinct setup & outfit per hour for relatively straightforward stuff, longer if it gets complicated. Depending on how a model moves and poses and the style of the shoot I'll spend up to 15 minutes on variations of a given pose, again longer if things get complicated.

Ok, I think you are right here, It felt like I was taking ages at the time but we did 10 setups in total in 150 mins so that works out at 15 mins per setup. From what you are saying here I was probably bashing along too fast but thinking I was going slow. I realised that I had ruined 2 of the setups when I got home and found that I didn't have in camera what I thought I had...

Don't be disheartened - you're at the beginning of a long journey!

Yes, for sure. But I did put a fair bit of preparation into these so it's a bit of a blow to rerad that it doesn't look like it. I'm not too upset, just a bit shocked, I would rather have honest negatives than false positives any day (y)

Ok, I think you are right here, It felt like I was taking ages at the time but we did 10 setups in total in 150 mins so that works out at 15 mins per setup. From what you are saying here I was probably bashing along too fast but thinking I was going slow. I realised that I had ruined 2 of the setups when I got home and found that I didn't have in camera what I thought I had...

Take my timings with a pinch of salt, though, I know I'm not entirely representative. There are folk who can seemingly chuck up a softbox and get good results in minutes.

Take my timings with a pinch of salt, though, I know I'm not entirely representative. There are folk who can seemingly chuck up a softbox and get good results in minutes.
Just caught up with this thread, and chucking up a softbox is exactly my approach but then I just photograph location shots. I see an interesting background, position the person and light them up, it kind of works for me and the more I do it I learn a little something each time. With this one I knew I'd cut her elbows and knuckles but it was the look in her eyes that enticed me to press the shutter.

Michaela
by
Brian Lewicki
on Flickr​
what did I learn? Slow down, look...then look again,

Back