Beginner My First Portraits

Edit My Images
No
I just started picture taking like 3 months ago, and these were one among many first portrait shots.

IMG_8762.jpg
IMG_6731.jpg
IMG_4402.jpg
IMG_7182.jpg
IMG_8614.jpg
IMG_4586.jpg

Last edited:
Nowt wrong with them... Your off to a flying start...

These are great. Well done. Great connection with the models. Shooting on the shadow side of the face always gets the most flattering look for women. The only thing I would change, for my personal taste, is the crop in photo 1. If I shoot below a joint I would like to see all the arm. So I would of cropped a bit tighter above the elbow. Please don't take this as criticism it is just my personal taste. I would have loved to have need this good when I started. Well done.

Nothing wrong with them , only critique for me, Number 3 and 5 keep the model and background further apart. Number 1 is my favourite as the background is beautiful. Then again ,what do I know..

A really nice set of portraits Kritchton.
Hi. Paul. For women i find it best to shoot on the less lit side of the face. The last photo is a great example. Highlight on the models right side and shadow on her left side with the camera closer to the darker side. The other photos are a little less obvious.

I agree although I find the last shot a little soft around the eyes!

Les :shrug:

Just as a quick addon, although I don't mind the reflection in the mans glasses in the second photo, to get rid of the reflection lift the arms above the ears so the glass tilts down. No more reflection.

These are your first ever portraits? Good grief. I would be super happy with these now and I have been trying for a while. I really love the first one especially.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

These are your first ever portraits? Good grief. I would be super happy with these now and I have been trying for a while. I really love the first one especially.

Thanks, but it's all dumb luck, if even that. You should see the ones I'm not posting from my 3-4 day adventure. Three months later I can definitely say there is improvement even if my opportunities have been rather scarce. I'll post a part 2 soon.

First one is special, as a beginner myself I dont like to offer too much in the way of criticism as I've really not much of a clue. But, I'd have cropped either slightly further above the elbow, or a fair bit below it, across a joint never looks as good in my opinion. However, this is easily fixed and that first one is fantastic imo.

For a first portait set...remarkable.... Just watch the cropping at joints and you're off.

Nice one pal - good set!
3 & 5 look a little soft around the eyes to me & possibly a little bit of plastic skin from to much sharpening & noise reduction - but could be the link etc.

Personal taste - #1 I would have opened her body up just slightly towards the camera so she isn't completely side on.

Kind regards

Ian

Last edited:
Back