Critique My First Post or Portrait by a Novice!

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
that I feel worthy of showing.
Help there is something wrong but I can not put my finger on it.....
IMG_0713_zps0nejw6ah.jpg

One I am proud of......
IMG_0714_zpsjehhv16p.jpg

Any comment maybe helpful.
Cheers everyone.

Nice and sharp and the right parts are in focus, so you're certainly doing something right!

Personally, I feel that in the first picture the TV on the left is a bit distracting. In the second photo I would prefer to see the whole head instead of having it cut off on the hair. It's a personal choice and other people might disagree, and always remember that you shouldn't necessarily listen to random people on the internet.

Backgrounds are as important as the subject in a portrait, and these are both messy. But also the drinking poses simply aren't elegant, and even though there's good eye contact in the first, it's not enough to overcome the glass cutting her face in half. Both shots look like snaps, rather than carefully anticipated images.

as Toni said Background clutteris your main issue here - its always a challenge at indoor receptions particu;arly if you can't pick a nice background and direct people to it , but its something to bear in mind - look all arround your shot before you press the button.

Also drinking isnt a flattering pose for most people - if they are holding a glass get them to toast you with it instead , or look at you over the rim, so you can get good eye contact and not have the eye cut in half by the glass as in the first shot

First would have been much beter if the overhead light had somehow got to here eyes giving a bit of a catchlight.

Gaz

Back