My first Ruby-Tailed Wasp!

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive only ever seen one of these once, before today. There was one on my house wall last summer but by the time i got my camera, it had flown off. Had a wonder around the garden today and came across this within minutes.

C&C Welcome

EDIT: Just noticed that there is another species that resembles the Ruby-Tail, a:

'CHRYSIS ANGUSTULA'

Hopefully someone will be able to give me a positive ID.....Where's Alby when i need him again :LOL:

Ruby-Tailed Wasp -- Best viewed LARGE ;)
5729713677_0404a8984f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find Chris, there are a few types of Chrysis and some are very hard to tell apart even under a microscope so I would say Ruby Tailed Wasp is the way to go. ;) Beautiful creature that is smaller then you think when you are fortunate to see one in real life.

Nice find Chris, there are a few types of Chrysis and some are very hard to tell apart even under a microscope so I would say Ruby Tailed Wasp is the way to go. ;) Beautiful creature that is smaller then you think when you are fortunate to see one in real life.

Nice one Alby (y) Ruby-Tailed it is then :woot:

They certainly dont stick around for very long either. Fingers crossed, i'll see afew more this summer.

very colourful , Never seen one of those

great capture Chris (y)

Les :D

Never seen one of those in my life.
Fantastic capture.
I will look out for one now thats for sure.

Without sounding negative, why use a such a shallow DOF? Especially as it's called the "ruby tail" Why not have the "Ruby Tail" in focus?

Without sounding negative, why use a such a shallow DOF? Especially as it's called the "ruby tail" Why not have the "Ruby Tail" in focus?

DOF was tiny. These things are smaller than you think Simon (this one probably wasnt even 10mm. According to my 'Collins' book, they range from 5-15mm). It was taken using a Tamron 90mm at infinity AND a full set (68mm) of extension tubes. It was shot at f/13.

dof is very shallow using a Macro lens and its not as easy as you think fella :shrug:

Macro shots on Insects , as a rule of thumb, the EYES should be in sharp focus - so all in all thats a great shot :naughty:

Les (y)

dof is very shallow using a Macro lens and its not as easy as you think fella :shrug:

Macro shots on Insects , as a rule of thumb, the EYES should be in sharp focus - so all in all thats a great shot :naughty:

Les (y)

Cheers Pal (y)

Back