My first "wild life" shot :-)

Name
Ilaria
Edit My Images
Yes
View attachment 1716

Hi!
I want to share this, mainly because I love it and im so glad I caught it but also to hear opinions and critiques, so far I learnt loads from them so please keep them coming.
I was in Bushy Park for an engagement session on saturday and as I got there very early and wondered around I caught this moment! would love an opinion from a professional eye :)
I didn't really have the time to adjust my settings as I saw the deer and I felt she was going to jump over the fence so i just went for it.

As my first "wild life" shot ever im pretty happy and feel like I am going to take loads more soon.

Thanks you!

Very nicely caught , - it would have been stronger without the couple on the bridge but theres no sensible way of getting rid of them (you can't crop them out without cropping the deer, and cloning would be difficult)

The only thing i wonder about is the B&W processing which doesnt help the deer stand out from the fence of the grass - assuming this was originally taken in colour it would be inteesting to see the colour shot for comparison

Would like to see it in color as in b&w the head and face are quite hard to make out

Love it, and the look of surprise on the couples faces make it for me , am in agreement about color

I like it.

A others have said the expressions on the people's faces add something too.

Another vote for seeing the colour version - somehow the tones of the deer are a bit similar to the grass to give much contrast.

another thing that just occured to me is that its a shame we can't see the back foot - a situation like this is definitely one for burst mode, not least because you'd then have the potential for a triptych of it going over the fence.

yeah colour definitely works better imo, although if you wanted B&W you could probably play with the colour channels to get a higher contrast. A good rule of thumb (which ive shamelessly stolen from another thread on here) is that black and white is supposed to grade from black to white... if its predominantly mid tone grey you don't have enough oomph

Next time, see if you can get the stag to leave more space between his nose and the bystanders - and while you're at it, get them to assume suitably shocked poses!

Love it! (Especially in colour - the B&W conversion loses the stag into the background a little IMO.)

Great photography. I like both, that's because it's a great shot either way, the focus and capture are wonderful,
It's one to be proud of. Keep your eye out for competitions and enter it, trust me I know.

Thank you everyone! I am so grateful for your comments!
I like it better in colour too I think...still playing around with the b&w and added more contrast which does work a lot better! but still i feel the colour gives more "action" to the shot whilst the b&w kind of freezes the moment just that little bit more.

thank you!

to be honest , they'll likely say "there's no budget but we'll give you a credit" that's where I tell them to take a hike, but that call is down to personal preference. Also I wouldn't bother going in , just email them a low res watermarked file.

That's usual I hear, but then you don't look like Ilaria Pete. ;)

:sulk:

mind you you're assuming that's her in the profile pic - I used to think Haggis was a stunning 20 year old blonde - until I realised the real name was down as 'jim' :LOL:

Last edited:
not sure if anyone has said this but....just wondered if using the high pass filter in PS would help with bringing the stag out of the pic a bit? amazing shot though well done you:banana:

Back