My little girl

the eyes or nearest eye has to be pin sharp
the oof background is fine but one can still make out a highchair
so next time if possible get someone to support the child and remove any clutter
i take it this is a high key shot and suits the genre
cheers
geoff

Cheers Geoff had to take the pic quick as when ever I put camera to my eye she likes to turn around

Cheers Geoff had to take the pic quick as when ever I put camera to my eye she likes to turn around

hmmm...i think i have experience that as well with all the granchildren...which you may note i havent put any online..
my bad...sorry...:D
cheers
geoff

Dont know what focal length you used but around 50mm i find to be the best, to get close but not too close, and to get it sharp, and although f8 is a recognised ideal it often isnt quick enough to catch the little ones, so step it down to let more light in, and therefore boosting the exposure time and chances of catching her before she turns away.

The image seems a little "grey" to me which doesnt do her justice and i also struggle to get B&W right, but kids have lovely skin tones so play around with the exposure as the skin needs to be well lit but still have definition in shadows, sometimes post processing is helpful, so shoot a little under exposed and then raise up in PP; I did that with this one of my lad,
and he can be a challenge to get pictures of up close and with this he was playing with his cars at the dining room table and i just said smile and briefly got this, but I kept the exposure slightly under, a low f stop at 2.8 and boosted exposure in PP.

Last edited:
Sorry Tony, its far too soft for me, and the highchair is too much of a distraction.

I've said to someone before, kids/grandkids are like permanent in house models, you have the luxury of being to practice on them all the time :D So try try try again! :p

Back