My old Mazda

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
More a quick-test of a cheap light-wand than anything, but the car looks clean so that's all the excuse I need to share them.

xkmwrl.jpg

I'd got bored by the time I came to edit this one, still needs work around the diffuser. No excuses, should have put more effort in!

29uu794.jpg

love the first, Awesome car as well must be a good laugh

they are brilliant! Would you have time to share your method?

I have tried this a couple of times with inconsistent results. Always just been trying to guess the best way to do it.

Thanks guys - don't mind at all. It's a pretty logical process to be honest. The key to these really is breaking it down into stages and not trying to do too much in one go, instead relying on merging frames together later on. So generally, my workflow goes something along the lines of:

- Ambient layer, no lightpainting. Allows you to more effectively control your exposure so you know how long you will have to physically lightpaint the surfaces of the car. Generally it's best to keep your ISO down and your aperture fairly narrow so you have longer to move, but obviously this is dependant on the brightness of your location and your light-source. There's not much point giving you example figures here because it will vary between locations, but I usually try to stick to a shutter speed of around 8 seconds and juggle the other two parts of the exposure where possible.

- The actual light-painting itself is the difficult bit, but the most important thing is to stay smooth. I tend to split the image into four and then work my way through lighting them in stages. So maybe start with the shadow on the floor, then the side facing the camera, then the far side, then the roof/bonnet. Often you can combine these, it all depends on what you want out of the image and how bothered you are about getting it in-camera. Ultimately though it means you end up with something like this:

168ie8o.jpg

Where the green lines are passes with the light-source (and green squiggles are the areas on the car where the highlight will show) and the blue areas are from the ambient layer, so light as a result of the long-exposure.

Once you've got your base-frames, it's then a case of layering them up in photoshop and creating a single image out of them, then editing that. Hope that helps!

That is me! :)

Only ever do one pass, otherwise you won't have a prayer of keeping the lines smooth. If you're not sure you've done it right, simply start again on another frame. You can walk in front of the camera with the light-source, but bear in mind that if the light-source obstructs the car, it will do so in the image as well. In that case, try lifting it above the car, if it's on the background instead you can just use another frame when you're merging them together.

Love the car and the light paint. I always struggle to find a decent location to do mine although I haven't done it in about a year :p

That looks great - do you mind if I ask which light wand you use as I really fancy having a go at this but don't want to spend a fortune ?

Back