My poor attempt at shooting the moon :(

This is going to be my last moon pic for this week :cautious: I think...

moon27.10.10.jpg

Generally I'm not a fan of taking shots of the full moon, preferring to take shots during other phases, where the shadows/highlights thrown up make for some interesting details.

173.jpg

What lens/TC/camera combo was used for that shot please?

This is going to be my last moon pic for this week :cautious: I think...

moon27.10.10.jpg

You are getting better, but the settings are all wrong. 1/50 and f/11... drop it the f/stop to f/5.6 and that will give you 1/200. OR if that shows up the lens abberations more, keep the f/stop the same and just bump the ISO up to 400, also giving you a shutter speed of 1/200 at f/11. I think there's a little bit of camera shake in there as a result of your low shutter speed. Convert to black and white to remove any colour casts and chromatic abberation.

If you are having trouble with the qualities of the lens may I suggest you use the 70-210 instead. It may be sharp enough to crop in as much as you do currently and retain the same image size. 70-300 lenses and their similar variants aren't known for being optically brilliant.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback... I think this is my last attempt for now. It has been fun. One try my hand at a bit of landscape stuff and get some use out of my Sigma 10-20mm :)

Kris, it was taken with a 40D attached to a Celestron 9 1/4" SC telescope. The only variable I had any control over was the shutter speed, and for the life of me, I can't remember what I used.

I'm trying to find the original RAW file, but we had a hard drive failure just a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still sorting out all the backup data.

Kris, it was taken with a 40D attached to a Celestron 9 1/4" SC telescope. The only variable I had any control over was the shutter speed, and for the life of me, I can't remember what I used.

I'm trying to find the original RAW file, but we had a hard drive failure just a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still sorting out all the backup data.

:eek: That's cheating :LOL:
Only joking, they are superb images.

I am not going to post mine now, I feel intimidated.
Last year, I used a 70 - 300 lens (450 on the Sony) at 5.6, 1/160, ISO100, but I didn't use a tripod (very lazy of me). The exposure seemed to be about right.

You should see my first attempt; nothing like what I can usually achieve now (though not every time!)

I just followed the good advice I received from forums like this, and just went out to keep taking images. I finally started to understand what was going on, what I was doing wrong, and how I could improve on what I was doing.

I have been trying again since posting my first attempt on here, I learnt quite a bit from feedback and the basics I have learned is use a tripod, use a remote shutter release, but! my 40d live view always seems blured so I'm trying full manual but not using live view and the white balance I'm trying daylight and tungston, sorry if this has been repeated.

I usually use live view, zoomed in to 10x, to assist focusing manually. The image will appear blurred while you are making adjustments due to the high zoom factor magnifying any movement. It's usually just a question of making small adjustments, and then allowing any vibrations to die down before assessing whether or not you have actually nailed the focus.

Shooting in tungsten WB will usually give you a very blue looking moon. Some people like it but, for me, it doesn't look very convincing.

Back