My Son

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
I was taking photos of my son who was far too busy watching TV to want to smile at the camera. After calling him 3 or 4 times he turned round and I captured this expression on his face. It really shows that he doesn’t like bieng interrupted when Nick Jr is on!

Any feedback is welcome :)

http://jamesoliverstone.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ethan11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can almost hear him saying "Come on dad, get it over with, I have important things to watch". His big eyes are a lovely focal point, the shot and PP are all good for me, works well with the cropping.
Trev

Thanks for the kind words :D

I cant really explain what I did as most of it I just "do" as I go ;)

Basically, I created a high contrast B+W from the original RAW and really over emaphasised the shadows, then created another to over expose any highlights. Then I blended the layers together at very low apacity and sharpened it to try and make the original image more "gritty".

Then I fettled with the saturation and levels (not helpful I know) and then added the vignette to focus the eyes. I am sure I did more, but I cant remember as it was a lengthy process! And I also wanted to try and make it look right without over doing the PP

Really good shot and world class PP. It looks like the sort of shot you see int he Sunday Times magazine in the photography awards section or something.

If you can work out what you did and create a 'Photoshop Action', I'll be buying it for a start.

Excellent.

Badger :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words :D

I cant really explain what I did as most of it I just "do" as I go ;)

Basically, I created a high contrast B+W from the original RAW and really over emaphasised the shadows, then created another to over expose any highlights. Then I blended the layers together at very low apacity and sharpened it to try and make the original image more "gritty".

Then I fettled with the saturation and levels (not helpful I know) and then added the vignette to focus the eyes. I am sure I did more, but I cant remember as it was a lengthy process! And I also wanted to try and make it look right without over doing the PP

Reading what you did there, doesnt seem to apply to the almost natural look of the picture, it doesnt look that processed. If you did all that and it came out this good, than you did very well not to over process it. Its a technique you must remember, it works real good. Well done indeed.
Trev

Thanks very much! Glad to see others like it like I do :D

@ Trev4 that was the idea really, I just wanted the image to "pop" so I tried to very gently bring out the grittyness but without overdoing it, and add a vignette to focus the eyes to the subject

Thanks very much! Glad to see others like it like I do :D

@ Trev4 that was the idea really, I just wanted the image to "pop" so I tried to very gently bring out the grittyness but without overdoing it, and add a vignette to focus the eyes to the subject

All I can add is that you suceeded, I wish I had the tallent to achieve results like that. As other have said, the little lads face pops out of the screen at you. A great picture indeed in my eyes.
Trev

Absolutely amazing.

My wife hates it, she says I have made our son look like a RSPCC advert!

Sorry, but I have to agree. It doesnt capture his emotions, or personality at all. Like you said, he was watching Nick at the time, he should look happy and cheerful!

I do like the processing, but IMO, it makes me feel uneasy as it does indeed look like a RSPCC advert :p

Thanks for the kind comments all... My wife hates it, she says I have made our son look like a RSPCC advert!

Bah, what does she know about artistic vision :D

Haha! I have a pic of my son that looks like an NSPCC ad too (its an N not R BTW) I love it to bits but my wife doesn't like it. The interesting thing is that it was one of a long sequence of very fun shots.

Toph.

exactly, this was just one of a long sequence of shots... but I have plenty of smiley happy ones, and sometimes I like to see things differently, and for me the change in emotion was enough for me to consider it a keeper ;)

actually the more I think about it, it seems that many females who see this shot, or others like it, dont really like it... whereas every bloke who has seen it seems to enjoy the different angle... perhaps its one of those mars / venus thingies my wife watches on telly :D

Back