N900 v Google N1 v HD2

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
OK folks looking for a new phone to replace my iPhone and the three, Nokia N900, Google Nexus One and HTC HD2 seem to be the likely candiates at the moment, I know that Puddleduck is waiting on an N900 but has anyone got either of the other two and could comment on how good they are?

:D I'm playing.

But your giving up the Jesus phone. It's blasphemous. Banhammer I say.

Gary.

I've just ordered a HD2 from Virgin, it should be with me tomorrow (y)

I've just ordered a HD2 from Virgin, it should be with me tomorrow (y)

I've been offered a great price on a brand new sealed HD2 so I think I will give that a go first, if I don't like it then I will either buy a Nexus One or go back to Apple I think.

the n900 is truely terrible, i'd avoid at all costs

my weapon of choice would be the hd2 but if you use apps then go for an android phone :)

Just played around with an N900 today and its a lovely bit of kit - very nice indeed.

puddle, if you're after getting one i'd get some verifications on battery life and signal because my friend chose to go with one and she has to charge it up all the time, the signal drops constantly (unlimited internet if you can get it...) and it's just generally glitchy especially when answering calls

in the shop it works well enough just having seen it in day to day use i'd be of the mind to steer clear

the n900 is truely terrible, i'd avoid at all costs

my weapon of choice would be the hd2 but if you use apps then go for an android phone :)

I'd suggest the HD2 too although there are just as many apps for WinMo (in fact more) as android so no problems there. :)

I had a play with an N900 in Vodafone today and the screen put me right off, the OS is nice and I don't doubt it will be a force in the future but the resistive screen is horrendous.
Had a good play with an HD2 in T Mobile and I was blown away with how fast it is and how good it looks.
I've managed to get a brand new HD2 for £320 which I'm very chuffed about!!!!

I do use Apps but I reckon most of the things I use apps for on my iPhone are built into the HD2, like an RSS Reader, Facebook, Twitter and IM, only thing I will miss is Spotify but I have that on my E72 and Co Pilot Sat Nav but I can get that too I guess.

I have a HTC hero- and its lovely- although perhaps a bit "old" compared to the others you mentioned above.

That is seriously cheap :eek:, the cheapest I could find it (SIM free) in the UK was £435

Yeah it is, I think its T-Mobile branded though, bought it off a guy who upgraded and doesn't want it, hes waiting on an unlock code which is great and it really easy to debrand it anyway,

Have you had a look round the XDA forums ?

Oh yes (y)

I do like to be able to customise my phone, something the iPhone is sadly lacking in.
Was very tempted to order the Google Nexus One from the US but at this price the HD2 is a much better deal and around £150 less than an N1 after import tax, etc!

I had a play with an N900 in Vodafone today and the screen put me right off, the OS is nice and I don't doubt it will be a force in the future but the resistive screen is horrendous.
Had a good play with an HD2 in T Mobile and I was blown away with how fast it is and how good it looks.
I've managed to get a brand new HD2 for £320 which I'm very chuffed about!!!!

I do use Apps but I reckon most of the things I use apps for on my iPhone are built into the HD2, like an RSS Reader, Facebook, Twitter and IM, only thing I will miss is Spotify but I have that on my E72 and Co Pilot Sat Nav but I can get that too I guess.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=580208

Only Alpha at the moment apparently but may work for you.

For future reference the best bet if you want something is to just type the name of the program into google and add "WM" to the end.

Also XDA has loads of pograms and there are a few websites with thousands of programs listed. It can be a bit annoying WM not having a proper marketplace but it's pretty easy to find them if you know how to do it, also means you can download programs that the manufacturers may not like (looking at you Apple...).

no idea what a resistive screen is too be honest, seems nice and bright and worked for me!

Resistive screens work by having two layers that are pressed together, capacitive works by electrical currents flowing through a single layer (the iPhone, HD2 and Hero). Capacitive is better if you want a basic screen as it is slightly faster and can be made of glass however resistive screens allow you to use pretty much anything to touch the screen with (finger, fingernail, stylus, glove, pen, food...) as well as being far more accurate and pressure sensitive. The downside is they can scratch easier and can appear unresponsive if you just stroke like an iPod touch instead of put a little pressure on. The problem with resistive screens is some are terrible, however get a good one (not sure how the N900's compares but the one on my HD is widely regarded as almost as responsive as capacitive) and they are very good.

no idea what a resistive screen is too be honest, seems nice and bright and worked for me!

I think the resistive screen means you have to apply a little pressure to scroll with your finger, I find this a good point on my n97 mini as it stops unwanted scrolling when browsing (y)

Which i-phone have you got at the moment? Out of interest... and what makes you want to change it :shrug:

What makes people want to change any phone? No different to upgrading your phone yearly.:shrug:

What makes people want to change any phone? No different to upgrading your phone yearly.:shrug:

Some, like me, upgrade every few years if/when there's a replacement that adds features worth having, as opposed to just following trends / having gizmos for the sake of it, etc...

Touch screen capability is something I always thought was deficient on the E90 Communicator, I've had mine for about 2.5 years now and do like a lot about it especially having a physical qwerty, likewise when I had a 9300. Therefore I'm keen to read more opinions on the N900 and practical experience of them by folks who've handled the phone, not just stuff 'researched from the net'....

Didn't think of it like that, I thought you were being one of those people that can't see how someone would upgrade from an iPhone to anything but an iPhone (heaven forbid!).

Also for those interested Windows Phone 7 (WM7) has just been previewed and it looks a cracker! The HD2 is apparently officially going to be upgraded to it and it will almost certainly have a beta version flashed on to it in the next few months...

Google without question! The HD2 is running windows mobile 6.5 which is the most shocking interface i've ever experienced... You could wait for the HTC Desire. It's the same as the nexus but has better UI :)

Anyone now got an N900 and can comment on it? Not really getting on with Windows Mobile,.

My cousin has a N900 and he really likes it. I personally wouldn't though. I'd go for the HTC Desire or the Google Nexus One, or wait for the new iPhone ;)

hmm, I have the N97 (few months old) and the HTC Touch Pro (18 months old) which are predecessors to the N900 and the HD2 in a fashion.

All Nokia N series phones are shockingly bad. I'm fairly techy and I keep getting disappointed, The last good nokia I had was an E51 ages ago.

The HTC phones are fantastic, but I begrudgingly admit thay aren't as good as an iPhone.

As my Touch Pro is due for an upgrade, I think I will take the most expensive phone they will offer me and sell it immediately to buy an iPhone (they are SOOOO expensive through the phone company, you can't negotiate prices and I don't want to be lumped in a 2 year contract!) or a Nexus One

One of the guys at work has got an N900 and is already looking at selling it on to get an iPhone. He just doesn't get on with the UI.

Had an N1 (well two of them actually), but just sold the second to go back to the iPhone 3GS

android is a phenomenal OS and the hardware is way beyond anything out there at the moment, but for me it was the whole media integration thing that drew me back to the iPhone. I thought i could live without it, but the docks / car stereo etc all work so well with the iPhone that life is just too easy with them.

I've tried the HD2 and I didn't get on with WinMo, I'm kind of reluctant to buy a 3GS knowing that a new one is probably only around 4 months away, that said I need to replace it with something as my E72 doesn't really match up for browsing or music.
I think I'll forget the N900 as while I'm intrigued by the OS there seems to be a few hardware issues with the device, the Nexus One also seems to be a bit 50/50 in terms of user reviews, I can only really see buying another iPhone or perhaps even an iPod Touch and using Joikuspot on my E72 to get it online via Wifi as a short term stop gap until iPhone 4 in July.

I think even the 3GS will be a good option as when the '4g' (or whatever they are going to call it) comes out the 3gs will not lose too much of its value - just look at what happened with the 2G's when the 3g's came out.

And besides - i think it will be a while before the market is flooded with 4g specific apps.

I think even the 3GS will be a good option as when the '4g' (or whatever they are going to call it) comes out the 3gs will not lose too much of its value - just look at what happened with the 2G's when the 3g's came out.

And besides - i think it will be a while before the market is flooded with 4g specific apps.

Yeah Apple seem reluctant to drop support for older hardware and the rumors are that OS 4.0 will be only for the 3G, 3GS and presumably 4G.

Again I think the biggest jump in features will be from software rather than hardware so a 3GS is probably the way for me to go, just not totally convinced by the Android Hardware yet.

The android 'hardware' is up there with the best of them (and surpasses them in the case of the N1), but the media integration is where apple scores, plus the single platform and specs means that developers can just concentrate on the content rather than catering for differing screens resolutions etc.

I loved my N1, but the simplicity of the 3gs and the media won me over (again!!!)

I loved my N1, but the simplicity of the 3gs and the media won me over (again!!!)

you had one ???
Im thinking about getting one or just wait for HTC Desire to be on market...
Where dod you get it ? frm US via google site ?

and why you havent try to sell it via TP ? ;)

Back