National Geographic photographer face to face with Lepoard seal

:eek: Is that guy mad :wacky:
No way do I ever want to be that close to a leopard seal

that guy is freaking insane but what a story and the mark of a true pro, taking pictures even though the s*** is running down your leg... lol.

Wow, what an experience. These national geographic photographers are very lucky to be able to do these things.

how big is that leopard seal!

Don't know, but the adults can reach 10 - 11ft long and weight up to 500kgs, so they're pretty big! It's an apex predator and there are recorded attacks on humans, but they're not common.

The photographer might have been in more danger on the surface, or on the ice, where leopard seals normally feed on seals and penguins. Submerged, he probably puzzled her, and she didn't see him as a threat or prey. Most shark attacks involve swimmers and surfers, not divers.

I don't really care for describing animals as "vicious". That's a human trait, and animals just do what they're programmed to.

dedication...and payback no doubt

Don't know, but the adults can reach 10 - 11ft long and weight up to 500kgs, so they're pretty big! It's an apex predator and there are recorded attacks on humans, but they're not common.

The photographer might have been in more danger on the surface, or on the ice, where leopard seals normally feed on seals and penguins. Submerged, he probably puzzled her, and she didn't see him as a threat or prey. Most shark attacks involve swimmers and surfers, not divers.

I don't really care for describing animals as "vicious". That's a human trait, and animals just do what they're programmed to.

well said! (y)

I still don't think I'd fancy diving with one that big, but I take my hat off to him. Must have been an amazing experience for him (and the other photographer who I assume took the other photos).

What an a amazing experience!!
The guy should either get an award or locked up for being clinically insane.

I vote for the former!!

As a diver that is just awesome... a whole diving career to even get that close to something that large..and then to stick a camera in its mouth...sheer envy...

Back