Need a new body opinions please?

Edit My Images
Yes
Need to buy another body but undecided what to buy!
At the moment i've been looking at these

Nikon D300 (The one i really want but to afford it i'm living on toast for a couple of months)

So probably my choices will come down to these 3

Nikon D200

Nikon D80

Fuji S5 Pro

I'm currently using a D40 and a Fuji S3 pro which is giving me problems hence the need for a replacement!

I've got a wedding to shoot at the end of October and i really don't want to do it without 2 bodies just incase anything goes wrong and i no longer trust the Fuji S3 as it's let me down a few times.

Most of the stuff i do is music gigs and sports photography but i'm starting to do more portrait and landscape stuff as well.

I had a shot of a D200 for one gig which was a great camera to use but i found the pics were slightly noisier than ones taken with the D40 in the same venue but this might have been down to me having a bad night:D!

Never tried a D80 but a mate done some gig photos with one last year and the results were pretty good!

Fuji S5 pro would be great for weddings and portrait stuff but apparently not so good for gigs and sports.

Would like to hear the opinions of anybody who owns any of these cameras
because i'm struggling to decide!

D200 is noisy when pushed over ISO400; but under that it's fantastic. So, if your 2nd body is a backup for weddings, then unless you're using flash in weddings I'd rule out the D200. Personally, I love the ergonomics of the D200 / D300 ... but as I've said, rule out the D200 in weddings unless used with flash.

Odd, I don't see you listing the D90 as one of the options? It's even better than the D300 at high ISO, cheaper and will readily take your SDs that you use on your D40.

If you can't stretch to a D300, go for a D90. :) Same IQ, arguably better at higher ISO.

The D80 has the same sensor as the D200 btw.

Thanks Wail the reason i didn't look at the D90 is there doesn't seem to be too many 2nd hand ones around yet and unfortunately whatever i buy is probably going to be used! I will go and have a play with one in the shops!

I loved using the D200 i borrowed but as i said i was disapointed when i seen the results!

11 more posts and you'll be able to post in the Wanted section here :)

I am sure someone will be selling as they upgrade / downgrade / leave?

LOL never thought about that! Think i'll go and have a play with the D90 later today see how it feels!

11 more posts and you'll be able to post in the Wanted section here :)

I am sure someone will be selling as they upgrade / downgrade / leave?

Cough Cough, that aside I recently got a d300 upgrading from the d40. I was lucky to get a shot of the D90 for a few days and in my humble opinion I am so so glad I went for the D300.

I guess the main reason is that it has less fluff in the mode settings and it forced me to get going with manual.

LOL i had no choice but to go manual all my lenses apart from the kit lens are manual only with the D40!

I do really like the D300 and if it wasn't for this wedding coming up i would have waited
and bought it when i had some more cash but i would like to get the camera next month so i can have some time with it before the wedding!

Time to go and compare them me thinks!

I guess the main reason is that it has less fluff in the mode settings and it forced me to get going with manual.

To be fair if you're looking at a D90 anyhow you shouldn't be considering using Auto or scene modes. I've owned a D40/D90/D700 and mainly use manual with the odd-use of the aperture mode.

Back