Beginner Need feedback

Edit My Images
No
Hello. I'm needing advice as to what type of camera I need to purchase for my wife. She is looking into classes at our local university but is curious if she should buy a digital or a 35mm and what they normally start with in photography classes. Also can you give ideas on a good quality camera to start her out with. Thank you :)

Then I would wait around for some of the other's, I would say a DSLR :nikon: but others :canon: & :olympus:, Just make sure you dont spend all your money on a body, you will need to get a least two good lens, one for landscape 18-55 or 35-70 & and nice zoom lens 70-200/ 70-300.

oh make sure it feels right in her hand.

Last edited:
Your wife should pick up the phone, ring the tutor and ask. They won't bite and they're better placed than random strangers on the web to give the right answer.

Sometimes the easy way is more obvious than you think.. ..

Or disagree, You really need to have a play with each of the brands & what suits you best, get yourself down to a camera shop and play, you don't have to buy there and then.

Now for the otherside of me :ROFLMAO:

:nikon::nikon::nikon: :facepalm:

For £1,500 this is what I recommend...

Nikon D7000 (used) £330ish
Nikon 16-35mm f/4 (used) £600ish
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D (used) £60ish
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 or Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 or Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 (Can get them for the £500ish mark depending on model)...

I can only recommend Nikon setup as that what I know and use...

Canon and Nikon use different formats for button layouts and the like, take her to a photography shop, ideally a good independent with guys that actually care and know what they're talking about (not your Pc worlds and argo's) and pick an equivalent from each make, 9 times out of 10 one will just feel right in the hand, and theres your answer.

Rich

For £1,500 this is what I recommend...

Nikon D7000 (used) £330ish
Nikon 16-35mm f/4 (used) £600ish
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D (used) £60ish
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 or Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 or Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 (Can get them for the £500ish mark depending on model)...

I can only recommend Nikon setup as that what I know and use...

Seriously? :thinking:

Really surprised at some of advice given here. I agree with Alastair, before spending a penny find out what the course is and what is the minimum that might be required before splurging a four figure sum on gear. I'd be surprised if you need a 35mm film camera but if it's a course that is geared towards film then a DSLR isn't going to be much use.

And once that's established and assuming it's not a film orientated course, it's quite likely that you'll end up with a DSLR or some other form or interchangeable lens digital camera but there really is no need to spend that sort of money at this stage. By the sound of it, your wife is new to photography and doesn't currently have a camera so I would test the water with the cheaper end of the market. Many a hobby has been taken up only to be abandoned a few months later. MPB, Ffordes etc would almost certainly be able to sell you a decent enough used DSLR (or mirrorless camera for that matter) and a kit lens for not much more than £200. Even brand new, you should be able to find something for less than £300. That will be fine until your wife gets to grips with things. She may need to use a tripod and/or flash too so worth asking about that.

I do agree though that having a play with any camera first is important as they all operate and feel so different that there isn't really a one size fits all solution.

Yes Seriously :) The OP said there budget was £1,500 so that's what I recommended, If she's doing a uni course that gear would do well, its only a idea to put out there so the OP can see what they can get for there money, so you don't have to get all arsey about it :)
Read the OP.. it's a photography class at the local uni, not a degree level photography course.

Only a fool would spend any money before determining what the course needed. And no one here can know that.

I doubt spending as much as £300 will be needed.

Yes Seriously :) The OP said there budget was £1,500 so that's what I recommended, If she's doing a uni course that gear would do well, its only a idea to put out there so the OP can see what they can get for there money, so you don't have to get all arsey about it :)

I'm not being 'arsey'. I'm just suggesting a little prudence would go a long way before melting the credit card.

Hi Sparky
I think before advice on equipment can be given it would be helpful if members knew what experience your wife has with photography. I assume she's just messed around with a compact and would like to experiment with DSLR in which case I agree with spending a couple of hundred on a second hand DSLR with kit lens and learning the basics with it. I would also expect that your wife has enrolled in a beginners photography course, in which case, the tutor will be explaining the use of shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc and will demonstrate / show examples of using these settings and how to use them with the camera. For some people with little / no experience using a DSLR it could be a little daunting and many of these courses lose students in first few sessions, With a good teacher this should not happen and your wife needs to be confident enough to ask for help / clarification when she is unsure.
It is likely that there will be a wide spread of ability in any group and this can also make beginners feel uneasy. Treating the course as a social opportunity and learning from other students will help with confidence and learning.
Many photography courses also spend a portion of time on photo programmes such as Photoshop or whatever, so knowing this beforehand can give your wife an opportunity to familiarise herself with which ever prig is being used.
Finally hooking up with a tog buddy (or yourself ... asking for someone on here who lives near you) suits many people and is less threatening and gears more to needs of the individual. This is often better for many people before joining a formal photography class as they feel more confident and know what they want to learn / are unsure about.
( Camera club is another option)

Let her find out for herself what is required for the course and then leave her to buy her own camera.

Have to agree with the comments about find out what the course requires or suggests as a suitable type of camera.

I'm guessing from your first post, Sparky that you wanted to buy a camera for your wife and give it to her as present to use on the course. This is lovely idea but I view buying camera in the same way as buying pets. Never buy one for someone else unless that person says, "Yes, I want that one."

Dave

We are all different so what suits one will not suit another. So with that in mind let her make her choice, whether it is Canon or Nikon or another make.
But remember when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system suits you. Also don't be influenced by other people go out and try them out before you buy. Good luck

Just backing up Alastair and others. Some photography classes still (thankfully) teach film and darkroom skills. Some teach pure digital. Good courses teach both. A common requirement is a 35mm film SLR, and a digital camera. However, you don't need to break the bank. You really must talk to the course tutor, and check the requirements of the course.

Back