Need help urgently

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Going to purchase a second hand 5d mark ii on Sat (tomorrow). I'm taking my laptop to plug in and check the shutter count. The person I'm buying from asked me how to do this so I pointed them in the direction of the software I used to achieve this. They got back to me an hour later and it showed a low shutter count of 5.5k. However, I noticed tonight looking at the screen shot they sent me that the date of the shutter count on the Eos Info was dated 2013!!

Alarm bells ringing obviously. I tried to check the properties of the picture they sent and everything points to the fact it was actually taken yesterday.

This person also sent me a fresh photo they took using the mark ii. 10mb in size. I have just checked the mets data using Lightroom and it tells me that picture was also taken in 2013......however I know for a fact it wasn't because I made them take a picture of my email conversation I sent them yesterday (see how clever I am there! Brucy points for me).

This has led me to think that the dslr time stamp has either been set up wrongly from new, never set up at all?

Any thoughts before I part with my cash? Meeting them at 2pm so hence the urgency on this as the deal is too good to pass

Doesn't it just point to the fact that the time was not set up in camera? You can just take a fresh picture when you get there and upload a raw to one of the websites that shows shutter count to check the validity of it.

From everything you've said it sounds like it's simply a time stamp issue.

I'd say turn up to the meeting tomorrow and check the in camera menu for the current time/date - if it reads as 2013 then just continue the transaction as normal.

What else makes you think this deal is shady? Have you checked the camera serial number against the stolen camera database website? If the price is silly low (you mention it's too good to pass) then that's a pretty big red flag.

I first noticed the picture showing the shutter count dated 2013 which made me think this isn't right. It was only on checking the 10mb picture they took this too showed the wrong date leading me to believe it's most likely never been set up correctly. I have just checked all that data online looking at the exif data. This showed me the serial number so I will check on the stolen database first thing. I'm sure I'm just flapping over nothing but wanted a second opinion. Thanks peeps

Sounds like most of my cameras, past and present, mobile phones too.

I first noticed the picture showing the shutter count dated 2013 which made me think this isn't right. It was only on checking the 10mb picture they took this too showed the wrong date leading me to believe it's most likely never been set up correctly. I have just checked all that data online looking at the exif data. This showed me the serial number so I will check on the stolen database first thing. I'm sure I'm just flapping over nothing but wanted a second opinion. Thanks peeps

Better to safe than sorry, you could easily check the date on camera, after it if it's wrong and run the shutter count again

Hope everything is okay and it works out :)

How strange. The date on the camera was fine. I used my own software to verify the count and all went well. Turns out his father has more money than sense and only purchase expensive new items. Showed me the original receipt for each item we has the deal for. Also turns out he has no idea how to use a dslr keeping it in automatic mode. Uv filter on since day one along with official canon lens hood. 2 x 32 gb cards originally cost him £314 bizarrely. One of which was still in its packaging never opened and I just had a fight with some scissors getting it open. Perfectly happy with it and phew what a relief (and bargain).

My only issue today I established is setting up a new payment with someone I have never paid before using NatWest I could only transfer £250 at a time (once a day only) luckily the wife stepped in as her bank allowed the rest!

That's good to hear everything gone well and you look like you've got a good buy.

Enjoy it [emoji3]

Not sure if you use a PC or Mac, but checking the shutter count and S/N on a Mac is a doddle. Open either a RAW or jpeg file in Apples Preview, select Inspector, then Exif, and amongst everything else it will display the shutter count and camera S/N. I got a shock just now when I saw my D7100's shutter count had crept up to 43,276, hadn't looked for some time.

Memory cards used to be expensive if you bought what was then high capacity and 'fast'. I remember long ago paying around £40 for a 500mb CF card, and that wasn't from a known manufacturer.

Sounds like you got a bargain.

You've got a great deal there. Well done.

The talk of the cards made me remember when I was so chuffed I'd managed to finally kit out my home build PC with a 'serious' amount of RAM as prices were down to the rock bottom of £100 per Mb, and I'd just splashed out on 4Mb! Just before the birth of my first son, so sometime in the early 90's.

My only issue today I established is setting up a new payment with someone I have never paid before using NatWest I could only transfer £250 at a time (once a day only) luckily the wife stepped in as her bank allowed the rest!

Think you need to check that. I've just paid a builder for some work we've had done which was far more than you will have paid for this camera. Went through no problem first time. I'm with Natwest and he was a new payee.

Think you need to check that. I've just paid a builder for some work we've had done which was far more than you will have paid for this camera. Went through no problem first time. I'm with Natwest and he was a new payee.

Could be a setting on his account - I have mine limited to a max amount per day that can be withdrawn.

Alternatively, could a ruse to get his wife to pay [emoji12]

Back