Critique Nemasis:redlegged partridge

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
The framing's not great on the first i'm poking the lens through a young haw hedge basically telling him where to go.Second one sould have done better. He's the only one whom I didn't spot and he's nailed me and sadly one leveret two courting adult hares a roebuck and unbeknown to me a muntjac doe appearing to my left ,and at around sunset light was purdy too

I did mutter about eating him to his face mind, He was really funny calling away so I guess it's somewhat befitting that the best I got were of him,but didn't he mess up two hours of quietly watching and getting close.

bless him:whistle:

as framed 1Div 300mm HH 1/320 f/4 iso 1600 maybe just after sunset,not sure.

_70F5617 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cropped from2:3 to 5:4 sadly blew it even though I got the look back no space to the left

_70F5622 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care

Stu

Nevertheless, the second is a good take but
I remember them as more colourful birds!
Did you check the DRL of it?

I think the colour isn't far off Daniel , I wonder is he having that effect because we are looking at the back of him. I didn't do much at all to this,I thought i already had actually Daniel ,wanted to post while shattered last night and didn't check things properly my bad. Thanks for the thoughts

take care

Stu

They look quite accurate to the light you had, going by your settings, so probably not to much to be gained by getting stuck into the processing side - there will be a bit of an improvement with a little contrast boost, but don't make it too false.

On the first you really need to get him off centre, I'd crop off about half of the negative space on the right hand side so he's looking into plenty of greenery on the left.

Mike

Really like the second one, Stu.

As you specifically want critique in your images, all I would add is that in the second one, the oof blade of grass running up the bird is a distraction. It'd be tricky to remove in PP as it'll make the feathers look funny.

But we all know that things like this can't be helped when something wild is involved!

It's just that when I try and get shots nowadays, because of the helpful crit I've received, I'm more than mindful of having a clear shoot between myself and the subject.

But, it's still a lovely image (y)

Wez, crit is so good for both of us I believe,me I learn from the points made the guy critiquing has to ponder and really stare. That's why I always ask mate. In a way I feel crit is a bit missing now here, at the moment,which I think is a real shame. Don't get me wrong mate it's lovely being told that someone likes an image,but neither party learns anything there,I just feel that if I am making any progress with this lark ,then folks giving me their thoughts has been a huge player in that. Naturally me being me I'd like to see all of us from the most gifted to the learners like moi, to all get better So i've dwelt a bit on crit because I really think done in a kindly sort of way everyone wins,

Lads work load is horrendous at this time ,so my apologies for the slow reply. Ha i'm also a bit battered from it all which really shows in this post. Daniel is spot on I had edited these frames and then cropped the second later on, it looks like I didn't save me edits and didn't realise when posting,so nowt has been done to black and white points...DOH. Mike cheers for your thoughts,it just goes to show what I mused about crit and how useful that can be,as the first is a bit of a grab shot I hadn't even thought about cropping,it just simply didn't occur to me. i'll have a look at the contrast Mike only I find the contrast slider very agressive in dpp,so I'll give it a shot in the gamma . Cheers for the thoughts Mike they are invaluable to me.

Wez,yes my preference is the second ,it was much more considered ha and yes I know damn blades of grass:D, This one does bug me,in some of the hares they don't so much ,but here a right PITA,but as you say what can one do. I couldn't move to a better POV because of all the other stuff going on which he single handedly messed up for me. Mind he was utterly enchanting,he just couldn't figure what it was in the hedge so came really close all the time shouting,so funny. Thanks buddy as I say,the thoughts are so useful,even if as in this case they reaffirm my own feelings

take care both again sorry so slow in getting this reply out to you it's not that the replies aren't appreciated though
cheers
Stu

Back