Neutral density graduated filters

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
Hi all
I like some advice please on using ND graduated filters with portraits on location!

Are any off you using ND graduated filters on location when your shooting portraits or are you using A polarising filter?

What ND graduated filters do you use hard ND graduated filters or soft ND graduated filters?

Also which is best if your shooting in woods or woods in the background and city’s the hard ND graduated filters or soft ND graduated?

I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Brian

Hi Brian.

I'm struggling a bit to understand why you would want to use ND grads for a portrait shoot.

Can you help me out? What is it you're after?

Why would you want to do that? If the subject is above the horizon it's going to look like he/she's had a very bad spray tan. :D

As above really Brian. An ND Grad is a landscape filter, what's your thinking behind using it for portraits :thinking:

What i was looking at was more off a overall shot off the model like full length with lot space round her!

I hope that helps?

Doesn't really help.

I suspect the look you're after is that created using studio type lighting.

I cant see an ND Grad helping you as John mentioned above I would imagine it is going to make the exposure on the model a little odd. The idea of a Grad is to balance the exposure between land and sky i.e. bright sky & darker land. In theory the light on your model should be balanced so wont benefit from trying to block our light from the top half.

Assuming you've got a subject with bright sky behind, you should expose for the sky and use flash to bring the subject up to match.

Back