Nevern estuary, Newport (Pembs) last weekend.

It's a lovely image, however there's some haloing along the top of the far headland (image centre), I suspect from where you've dodged to try to lighten the land a little.
I'd have left that darker - as it would be in this light - and the image would still have been marvellous.

It's a lovely image, however there's some haloing along the top of the far headland (image centre), I suspect from where you've dodged to try to lighten the land a little.
I'd have left that darker - as it would be in this light - and the image would still have been marvellous.

Yes, I opened up the shadows overall which has also produced the result you noticed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

NP...other than that I think it's a belter. (y)

Actually, Ruth, you make an interesting point about sunsets generally. You see images over and over again where the viewer is looking straight at a perfectly exposed sunset sky and yet there's often some foreground interest which is perfectly exposed too. In reality any object between the photographer and the sky would be in deep shadow as you correctly point out.

Cracking colours and capture!

Lovely scene well captured.If you weren't a 'boat in the foreground at sunset' person before you are now...:) .Excellent.

Actually, Ruth, you make an interesting point about sunsets generally. You see images over and over again where the viewer is looking straight at a perfectly exposed sunset sky and yet there's often some foreground interest which is perfectly exposed too. In reality any object between the photographer and the sky would be in deep shadow as you correctly point out.

That's a cracking image and I'm sure you can tickle up that haloing. It's always a dilemma isn't it and most of our photographs of this type rarely reflect the reality of the situation but it's getting that balance that looks good without making things appear too out of place. I am fighting with one in PP at the moment! (2 actually).

Back to the image... Stunning colour gradients of colour in the sky, with equally stunning reflections. Difficult to judge the foreground without the original but I like the exposure there anyhow, it works well enough for me.
Another smashing image Jerry, thanks for sharing.

That's a cracking image and I'm sure you can tickle up that haloing. It's always a dilemma isn't it and most of our photographs of this type rarely reflect the reality of the situation but it's getting that balance that looks good without making things appear too out of place. I am fighting with one in PP at the moment! (2 actually).

Back to the image... Stunning colour gradients of colour in the sky, with equally stunning reflections. Difficult to judge the foreground without the original but I like the exposure there anyhow, it works well enough for me.
Those damn halos sneaking into our images :mad:

If you don't see them you can be sure someone will spot them! I think it's because sometime when in PP you can't see the wood for the trees when your working on your own images:(

You're very kind sir. Unfortunately I seem to have mislaid my tickling stick.......

It was a stunning sky but I can't say there was much careful composition involved. It was a bit of a snap really, as I wanted to get further down the estuary where there were no boats. But this one actually worked the best. These moments are over far too quickly.

You're very kind sir. Unfortunately I seem to have mislaid my tickling stick.......

It was a stunning sky but I can't say there was much careful composition involved. It was a bit of a snap really, as I wanted to get further down the estuary where there were no boats. But this one actually worked the best. These moments are over far too quickly.
Credit where credits due! Sometimes it works out that way the snap turns out better than the intended shot.. The light changes so rapidly doesn't it.
Tickling stick...
Photoshop>Edit>Sticks>Tickling :)

Back