New 3D camera from Fuji

It won't catch on. 3D and stereo imaging are as old as photography itself.

We just don't like looking at it. It actually looks rather strange. Our brains fill in the depth information when we view a 2D image so it looks natural.

I have a feeling that it will create a niche market for itself.

Only time will tell I guess.

No idea on the price of this camera ... You can bet it won't be cheap though.

3D movies over the past year or 2 have really hit the big time, with a lot of the big productions having 3D (or partially 3D) versions out too. The recent Harry Potter film for example, had the whole first 20 minutes of it in 3D and the IMAX was far from empty. It was certainly more enjoyable than watching it on a standard 2D screen. It is all about the experience, not the technicalities or anything.

I suppose this camera has come as an attempt at breaking into this particular audience. The group of people who want to play with something new. Unlike the cinema, I don't think 3D will become a major part of photography though.

Given that pretty much any output device is 2D - ie printing, monitors whats the point?

I'm probably missing something...

Given that pretty much any output device is 2D - ie printing, monitors whats the point?

Just wait until the holographic projector comes out, you see the point then :LOL:

If it was on Star Trek it will be here eventually :)

I am sure I read in Amateur Photographer that someone was offering a type of printing that would make use of this, I will see if I can find it when I get home.

Also, I was chatting about this at work and one of the lads was saying his mate had an old minolta or olympus camera that was at least 10 years old and the lens had 4 special parts in it that makes the images all look 3d.

Exactly what I'm trying to work out. I don't get it?
Unless it comes with some of those 3D glasses :LOL:

oh no...not the Borg...

Part Human part controlled by Machine, been here for years so some extent, Heart Pacemaker or The i-LIMB Hand the worlds first fully articulating and commercially available bionic hand. :)

oh no...not the Borg...

Part Human part controlled by Machine, been here for years so some extent, Heart Pacemaker or The i-LIMB Hand the worlds first fully articulating and commercially available bionic hand. :)

Also 7 of 9 can assimilate me any time she likes :love:

Its going to be the next big thing apparently :)

Sky TV are about to launch a 3D channel as part of the HD service showing re-runs of Jaws 3D 24 hours a day. (I was only joking about the Jaws bit, they ARE launching Sky 3D!)

I am sure it will have its niche market.

Epson had a 3D printer about 10 years ago - I used to work for a photogrammetry company, and we got one so we could print off stereo images overlaid / underlaid on the maps we had created from them - they printed off in red and green, which was then viewable using red / green stereo glasses. Clients were impressed for about 2 mins, but it didn't catch on for us, as it was quite distracting from the map!

If you are going to use red and green then you do not need a special printer just software!

The absolute best 3D I have seen is with the top end (£1000+) apple graphics card hooked up to the special optional 3D glasses. It works by increasing the frame rate to DOUBLE that which you need and displaying the left eye's image on every odd frame and the right eye's on every even frame. The glasses do not actually display anything at all they just have a very clear but fast acting LCD cell over the eye area and it blocks each eye in turn syncronised to the frame fly back. This gives perfect 3D full colour graphics and seriously it just makes your jaw drop!!! But at a cost of £1600 in total it was a little ott for me.

I still want one though :)

is there any actual sample shots available instead of the crappy photoshopped screens?

I am sure I read in Amateur Photographer that someone was offering a type of printing that would make use of this, I will see if I can find it when I get home.

Also, I was chatting about this at work and one of the lads was saying his mate had an old minolta or olympus camera that was at least 10 years old and the lens had 4 special parts in it that makes the images all look 3d.

That sounds like a Nimslo camera, which was the most recent attempt at 3d photography for the masses. It took four half-frame film images which were sliced up in special processing and then laminated with a lenticular screen.

It was hideous, and a spectacular commercial flop.

Back