New 40D

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Just bought a 40D today (had a 400D),first impressions are good!

Wondered if people had any tips on menu settings and things...seems a lot more complex than the 400D!

Cheers Steve

I did the same upgdrade - it's actually much better once you get use to it. Most important change for me - the wheel!

Take the manual out with you, pracdtise changing setting - I found the AF drive mode a bit hard to find but othereise just enjoy!

I've had mine for a few months but not used the live view yet so can't help there.

Good luck

I had a 40d and sold it after a few months, (stooopid!) Now have 400d and am saving for a 40d as there are features on it i miss/need. it's a heavy camera but very very good.

What I've set on mine:

- AF activated by AF-ON button rear - takes getting used to be best change I've made. Lens is MF until button pushed.
- Swap * and AF_ON rear button functions - allows AF activation with grip when held in portrait
- AF point selection on joystick.
- LiveView activated by Set button - only recently found a use for this
- MyMenu contains: Auto bracketing, Mirror up, Format, Sensor clean
- C3 mode dial set to ISO400, Av, f/5.6, Eval, Hi speed drive , AF servo - I can whip the dial round to the end and be set for action shots.
- Focussing screen set to AF-S
- Quality RAW

Added:
- BG-E2N grip - better balance with long lenses, extra battery
- E-1 hand strap
- Focussing screen EF-S - aids manual focussing

Thanks for all the replies guys! some really useful info...

Been playing around with the camera a bit more today and finding my way round it....the wheel is great!!!

Think i'm gonna love it...feels so much nicer in the hand and the image quality is definately better than the 400D.

Just a case of experimenting.....bit like buying a new car I suppose!!!

Hi all,

Just bought a 40D today (had a 400D),first impressions are good!

Wondered if people had any tips on menu settings and things...seems a lot more complex than the 400D!

Cheers Steve

hi steve, i own a couple of 400D's (recently purchased) and wondered if you can give me any tips on settings etc that you may have used for your 400 ??

hi steve, i own a couple of 400D's (recently purchased) and wondered if you can give me any tips on settings etc that you may have used for your 400 ??

Hi Keith,
To be honest I never really messed with the custom functions on the 400D.
What I did do was to set a couple of custom picture styles with a bit more sharpening and higher saturation..I found this gave me more sucess straight out of the camera rather than spending time on the pc!...great camera hope you enjoy them!

Steve

Back