New Bag Saved My GEar!

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
So after a month of consultation and research, i opted for a Lowepro flipside 400 AW.

The Story.

• Today i used it for the first time, and loaded all my gear and set out in the car.
  • I came across some roadworks and loads of parked cars which narrowed the road to just enough room for one car.
  • However, as older ladies tend to do - one was paying absolutely no attention what so ever and flew around the corner towards me in the middle of the road.
  • I had to slam on the brakes and swerve into a space which threw my backpack into the front dash part of the car. ( It was on my seat )

Result!

Thankfully due to all the padding etc in the bag, my gear is fine.

But it made me think, only last week i was running around with no bag at all, and that abrupt stop would have ended my gear.

(y)(y)

Thank you Lowepro for your padded backpacks!

Anyone else had their gear saved by their bag?

Last edited:
If I had placed my bag on the front seat I would have run the seatbelt through the straps eliminating that risk. In fact even on the back seat so it doesn't break my neck in a sudden stop situation.

Not so much a random event but on a recent college trip to San Francisco we had 2 and a half days of pretty solid American rain (proper rain, no the drizzle we get in the UK) and my Crumpler satchel kept my camera and bits and bobs bone dry throughout, even though it got a good soaking. It's not a proper camera bag, just a bag I took along to throw everything into (it's pretty big) and I'm so glad I had it. Just meant I didn't have to worry about my camera at all.

If I had placed my bag on the front seat I would have run the seatbelt through the straps eliminating that risk. In fact even on the back seat so it doesn't break my neck in a sudden stop situation.

Maybe i'll put the seatbelt on it in future actually..;)

Mine always goes deep in the passenger footwell and the tripod goes in the boot.

Hadn't really thought of it before but I always put gear in the boot just incase anyway - especially with my driving :LOL:

Depending on the journey time I invariably put my bag on the front passenger seat but well secured with the seatbelt. The weight of it always sets the seatbelt reminder warning off anyway plus its more secure in case an opportunist 'tealeaf' spots it whilst waiting at traffic lights etc. Also, if I do leave the gear in the car (not very often) I have a plastic covered cycle lock which is attached to a fixed point in the boot and threaded through the bag straps.

Also, if I do leave the gear in the car (not very often) I have a plastic covered cycle lock which is attached to a fixed point in the boot and threaded through the bag straps.

I once spoke to someone who if they knew they would leave the gear removed the spare tire in the boot and put the bag in there covering it over with the boot liner. Good idea I guess, very safe but risky if you get a flat. Maybe a bit extreme for me too.

I suppose if you've got a parcel shelf covering the boot then there's not much to see. And my windows just happen to be tinted too! lol

Back