new camera bag? voting time

which camera bag

• Total voters
Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
at the moment i have a fastpack 200 which is brilliant but i am getting some new kit and it wont fit in there. my question is what do you recommend for a new kit bag? i have to go with a lowepro make because thats what i trust.

this is the kit it will need to fit:

sony a300 + battery grip
sony 30mm f2.8 macro
sony 50mm f1.4
tamron 90mm f2.8 macro
sony 70-300mm g ssm
2-3 flashguns
few filters
cables
and a small reflector

i do like to go around town but at the same time have some decent weight distrubition, i very rarely go into rural lands so high tec rucksacks arent an issue.

cheers and thanks to anyone that can help:wave:

that's an impressive list and alot to lug about all the time though

also if i put the 30mm and 50mm on top of each other then that will only take up one lens space. i did consider the nova 200aw which is brilliant and spacious but its the lack of pockets for cable though which puts me off, also its a shoulder bag which would weigh a ton. the stealth reporter also seems like a close choice as it has all the pokets and space but same as the nova its about weight distribution.

cheers andrewc, i must say theres no such thing as a bag for all is there. i live in the city and will always live in cities so i dont have massive mountains to climb just some nice countryside, i live in tamworth and were surrounded by it.

i will definitely look at the stealth reporters.

what's usually on the camera body?

sony 70-300mm g ssm is the big puppy to fit in

I use a ThinkTank Streetwalker HardDrive - it's amazing what I can get in it! And there is space for a laptop, should you bring one when shooting. It's very comfortable to wear and is pretty robust without costing a fortune. I got mine from Grays of Westminster for about £150 (if I remember correctly).

i can recommend the lowepro vertex 200 AW...great bag that holds this little lot...

2 x sony A700's(with grips) with 70-400 G SSM(or 70-200 G SSM) attached..
sigma 18-50 F/2.8..
sigma 105 macro
sony 1.4 x teleconverter
kenko extension tubes
cokin filters
flash gun and diffuser
rocket blower
multi tool
all cables
memory cards
spare batteries
etc........

I have a nice Tamrac Pro 19 shoulder bag going cheap in the classifieds, great quality that equals Lowepro :)

I don't know nuffink about camera bags names! ;) I got a Delsey GOPIX, and that will hold a Nikon D5000, 70-300mm, 85mm 1.8, spare batt and SDHC and enough room for some other small(ish) lens and compact/phone and plenty of space for bits and bobs. it was FREE ;) from the camera shop.

Must say, thats some posh kit you have there. Wish it was in Nikon, we could share!

I agree, its not very nice - but it doesn't look like a camera bag, so might be a bit safer!

Looks like the fastach 350 would hold all your gear, and at around £60 seems fairish.

Just out of interest is it normal to have to put your zoom lens back on to fit all your gear into your bag. I Have a Flipside 200 which just about fits all my gear in but I have to change to my 70-300mm (which isn't my most used) each time.

I find this very annoying. is it me or is that the norm?

Sounds like you've got a roughly similar kit list to me in terms of size and number. I use a Tamrac Expedition 5 backpack, and take that whenever I need everything, or if I'm going out specifically to take photographs (i hate the 'oh, I wish I had that lens right now' having left it at home) and weight isn't a big issue. I really like it - it's pretty comfortable (given the weight) to carry for long distances; the only downside is that you have to take it off your back and lay it down somewhere to get anything out of it.

I also have a Tamrac System 3 shoulder bag for when I need to be a bit lighter - that'll take a gripped body with a mid-range zoom attached, my Sigma 70-300 OR my 12-24, the nifty fifty, and one or two other small lenses, without trouble.

I keep my flashgun in a Tamrac MX5385 Flash/Accessory Pocket, which attaches to the side of either bag, which is terribly useful, as I can just clip it to the side of whichever bag I need if I think I might need the flash. This might be a useful solution to you if you have several flashes to accomodate - I found my flash took up too much space inside the bags before.

The shoulder bag I picked up pretty cheaply from Ebay; Park Cameras supplied the Expedition Rucksack, and Devon Cameras the Flash pocket.

Hope that's of some help to you!

i dont like tamrac for the fact of previous experiences with it. i like its modular system but its the same as lowepro, you have given me an idea where i could put my flashes in a small utility case and attach it to the camera bag when i need it, however it would be extra expense.

i am tempted to get the fastpack 350 but i dont think the upgrade is big enough. i did consider the slingshot 300aw as it can fit around 3 flashes in its top compartment.

any other suggestions.

I don't have one myself but from what I've read adding one of those photographers vests or belts with lens cases along with your current camera bag may be an option.
It would be great for weight distribution and you could pop your flashes and smaller lenses into the pockets/cases while keeping your camera bag for your bigger stuff.

Tommy.

i have the slingshot 200, nice bag.
but i found with body, 3 lenses, 1 flash it was heavy enough for my liking and so tended to travel lighter.

the only thing with the slingshot 200 which i assume similar to the 300 is that you can only carry/wear it one way, and when it gets heavy or uncomfortable i would prefer to swap shoulders etc. (but that might be me with a bad shoulder history)

worth a note i guess

i dont like those photography vests as they make me look like something from the military hehe.

i have really knocked it down to a few bags within the £100 budget i have;

1.lowepro nova 200aw (shoulder bag so could hurt my shoulders when i go into towns etc)

2.lowepro slingshot 300aw (however this bag might hurt for alot of location shoots)

3.lowepro fastpack 350 (upgrade from my fastpack 200 and space for a laptop which can cut down luggage when i go to visit relatives or on holiday however there is no AW coat)

4.lowepro flipside 400aw(alot of space and its a rucksack, i like the safety features)

5.kata dc 445 (bit of last thought, looked at a vid on youtube about it and was suprised how much stuff could fit in there, however not many pockets for cables and other accessories)

Have you thought about a mini trekker or slightly smaller Micro trekker ?

I've a 200 for sale in the classifieds :whistle:

I have a couple of LowePro Nova camera bags, the 5 and the 2. They may be old (about 15 years) but carry all I want. THe big bag holds everything and I transfer to the smaller bag what I need at the time to carry with me. THe big bag can get pretty heavy

I have the Dakine Mission Photo, it's a nice big camera bag, with a nice lot of extra pockets.

things I like about it:
- A waterproof cover, hidden in a secret compartment on the bottom of the bag.
- place for tripod on the back of backpack.
- removable inner camera compartment, so it can be used just as a hand carrier.
- Lots of pockets.

Media photo:
8150-802_missionphoto_bkchop.jpg

This photo shows the inner removable camera block:
1988-large.jpg

Photo of mine (Shot with a camera phone):

Luke, I've got the lowepro minitrekker aw if you wanna try your kit in it before you make a decision :)

Have you looked at a Slingshot 300? I reckon that would be ideal and it's not too expensive either...

Back