New camera on Canon site??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless the current 5D has stood up quite well in the raft of 5D vs D700 reviews blessing the photography press this month (y)

Its an.......iD....:cautious:

Built in browser to upload you're photo's straight to flickr.
**** the iPhone.

Actually, my god it would sell, first video in a dslr and now an unholy love triangle betwixt Canon, Flickr and Apple.

I feel ill

I'm going for a lie down

Regardless the current 5D has stood up quite well in the raft of 5D vs D700 reviews blessing the photography press this month (y)

Which press have they been in ? Not seen anything............ :thinking:

Its an.......iD....:cautious:

Built in browser to upload you're photo's straight to flickr.
**** the iPhone.

Actually, my god it would sell, first video in a dslr and now an unholy love triangle betwixt Canon, Flickr and Apple.

I feel ill

I'm going for a lie down

Hmm, that made me throw up a little in my mouth ... :puke:

Well the only D-SLRS to have the digic III processor were the 2 1D models, the 40D and the 450D AND 1000D. The 40D is now "replaced" by the 50D.

I can see the 1D MkIII being given a slight cosmetic face lift (IIIN?)

Haven't heard much about hassles with 1Ds MkIII bodies but then there are not as many of them around as there are 1D Mk IIIs.

If the problem is not so much the Digic III it is interesting to see that Canon came up with a Digic IV so quickly:cautious:

Maybe to regain customer confidence?

Must agree, the 5D is way overdue for an upgrade by all D-SLR standards BUT there were 20 months between the 1D MkII and the IIN.

I think you ned to consider that, in general terms, technology moves on quicker as it progresses. Also, as the reviews of the latest Nikons have been so good, Canon may have decided to "up the game" to take on the competition. There may be nothing "wrong" with the Digic III chip, but it may just not be good enough to take on the pro/semi pro Nikon units.

Steve

Canon may have decided to "up the game" to take on the competition

erm, that's what Nikon did with their 'new' FX format, no ?

Without getting into a Nikon v Canon debate (pros use both, if you can't use both to good effect, you're not a pro)
the next generation 5D will likely set the standard in that price bracket, in the same way as the current/old/discontinued
5D did when it was released, almost three years ago ;)

I fully expect the next gen 5D to be as groundbreaking as the first incarnation but we'll all have to wait and see.

Jelster, I see your point but what bothers me about things that improve quicker is that, by that standard the Digic V should then launch before the end of this year...

I can see that Canon will have to pull a few stops to stay competitive with Nikon as a good few things suddenly happened in Nikon's favour and a few things went south for Canon.

I think these factors in combination were responsible for a migration to Nikon.

What really impresses me about Nikon is what they did with the D3. I have yet to see one in my part of the country to see if the ultimate product is really that good but on paper it really looks superb.

Let's face it though, they really took a 5D and a 1D Mk III and slapped it together with a few improved electronic gadgetry and called a D3...;)

I can see a mkIIIn coming out, it's about the same time frame as the mkII went to IIn, even if they just shove a couple of Digic IV in there, and some waffle about the focusing (saying that I have not heard of any AF problems on later mkIII's)

It has been a very long time since the 5D came out and Canon must know the public are crying out for it's replacement, so that must be odds on.

It's also about time they put IS in the EF 400mm f/5.6 L, and pete I was looking forward to a Pixma i4500 mkIIn :LOL:

from what i've read and heard, it's the new 5d that's coming out. whatever it happens to be called, we'll have to wait and see. i'd have thought it'll be somewhere around 16mp, full frame, with better af and metering..... but who knows.

apparently a new 1dmk4 and 1dsmk4 are due for release in feb of next year. the 1dsmk4 having 30 plus mp etc. etc. the new digic 4 chips being introduced to improve ISO, and pixel binning etc. etc. i don't think there's any need to do a 1dmk3n as there's nothing wrong with the 1dmk3, other than the AF problems on the initial ones.....

whatever they are and whenever they are released, i seriously hope they set market leading standards as i don't want to convert to nikon.

the frustration with camera bodies is that i always want the latest ones, and all they do is loose money.... aghh!

i would guess the digic IV has been released to compete with the nikons(the major competitor). everyone says the d300 is better than the 40d, so they improved the 40d to compete, also had to upgrade the 40d since the 450d was very similar in spec. the 1000d is to compete with the d40(or current version). nikon released the d3 to compete with the 5d, and now canon going to release the new 5d to compete. most of what i have heard says the 1ds is bout the same as the nikon, other than a loss of faith because of the focus problems.

i would probably expect the 1ds mk4 in the new year now. to give the 5d replacement its time to sell.

but i probably got it all wrong:shrug:

I fully expect the next gen 5D to be as groundbreaking as the first incarnation but we'll all have to wait and see.

I think you'll be disappointed then. The only way I can see it being deemed as ground breaking would be to come in at under £1,000 and I very much doubt that that is going to happen. Nope, the new 5D, if in fact it is that, will just be a development on a theme.

But the problem with releasing a 1d Mk 4 with a 5D at Photokina, will mean that Canon probably won't have any new models to release at PMA in February, so I'd expect the new 1D to be unveiled at PMA.

Don't forget the 450D, 1000D and 50D have recently been released...

nikon released the d3 to compete with the 5d,

Don't know if I can agree with that part of your (otherwise sensible;)) statement...:shrug:

What I do not understand about Canon's game plan is the two distinct options in their pro bodies while Nikon practically does both sport and reportage in the D3.

What also impressed me about the D3 is the fact that you can use your DX glass on it...no can do with EF-S glass on a 1D...

I know you don't necessarily want to and all that but fact remains, with Nikon you at least have the option to do it.

What I do not understand about Canon's game plan is the two distinct options in their pro bodies while Nikon practically does both sport and reportage in the D3.

What also impressed me about the D3 is the fact that you can use your DX glass on it...no can do with EF-S glass on a 1D...

I know you don't necessarily want to and all that but fact remains, with Nikon you at least have the option to do it.

What would be the advantage of using EF-S lenses on a 1D exactly?

What would be the advantage of using EF-S lenses on a 1D exactly?

The fact that you could use all your EF-S glass if you wanted to... I never said it is a good idea but is possible with the Nikon system and not with Canon.

I loved my EF-S 10-22 and would have loved being able to use it on my 1D bodies but I can't, same goes for my EF-S 60mm macro. Was only to happy to part with that 17-85 IS I had...

Fact remains, I had two nice lenses that could still have worked for me if I had a Nikon system but I sold them for next to nothing as I had no use for them when I sold my "small" bodies.

I see your point from that point of view. I still haven't figured out why Nikon have managed to produce "digital" lenses that fit all their bodies yet Canon have not. I work on the principle that if I were to upgrade to a full frame i'd have to change at the very least my standard zoom. That said at the moment I tend to benefit from not using a full frame sensor camera so i'm in no hurry.

I see your point from that point of view. I still haven't figured out why Nikon have managed to produce "digital" lenses that fit all their bodies yet Canon have not. I work on the principle that if I were to upgrade to a full frame i'd have to change at the very least my standard zoom. That said at the moment I tend to benefit from not using a full frame sensor camera so i'm in no hurry.

Enjoy the benefit as long as you can. FF is lovely but at a price if you go the way I did it...which I wouldn't recommend anyone to follow...

If you so much as consider eventually one day maybe possibly upgrading to pro / 1D bodies, start rethinking your kit purchases NOW!!

I will never dump Canon in favour of Nikon but I have learned a few lessons the really hard way. If you own many EF-S lenses, hang on to your 1.6 FOVC bodies. If the opportunity suddenly arrives to go FF be ready for the sudden lack of lenses you will experience...which occasionally makes me wish I started out with Nikon...and then I go and do some low-light high ISO work and immediately I love my Canons again as if for the first time:D

This does not reach our shores...well, at least not my village, so off to see how much of it I can see on the tinterweb...

Cool, thanx, having a looky there;)

Returning to my previous comments any additional lenses I buy will be EF, apart from my 17-85mm there aren;t really any other EF-S lenses I covet, save perhaps the 10-22mm but even that I can;t see i'd use that much.

Anyone seen any more news on this??

certainly more of the camera is being revealed as the days n weeks pass - Photokina only days away now :)

certainly more of the camera is being revealed as the days n weeks pass - Photokina only days away now :)

I really can't see the point of this marketing. If it were a brand new car then yes, teasers like this would work, but for a camera which is going to look just about the same as the others in the range why bother? Shows a complete lack of imagination on the part of the marketing team for mine.

looks like a pro body as more is revealed - or a body plus battery grip...on the right the 'EOS' logo is on the metal top part like a pro body rather than on the body near the lens.

They've just sent out invitations to London-based press, for the 17th of September, where we can "discover how Canon is taking imaging further", so we're sure all shall be revealed then.

http://www.t3.com/news/canon-leaks-photos-of-the-eos-5d-ii-on-website-thrills-us-with-d-slr-goodness?=36618

Thank god for that!

Can't believe the way they've done this, with a partial eclipse of the new model, whatever it is..

It can't have increased speculation as most people know that Photokina starts a week today and people in the know realise that this is the time when a new model is usually revealed.

Just seems to be a bit boring to me and obviously can only speak for myself, but hasn't raised my hypometer one bit :shrug:

I'd go so far to say it's cheesy..

Just seems to be a bit boring to me and obviously can only speak for myself, but hasn't raised my hypometer one bit :shrug:

I toally agree. I'd says that Son'y new full frame model and Nikon's video capture on the D90 are far more exciting developments than any of the 5D rumours. The speculation used to be exciting, but that was before Nikon moved into full frame. Now the only question is "can Canon keep up?", hardly as exciting as "how will Canon break new ground?"

Except we've all fallen for it and talking about it, therefore it has clearly worked regardless if we like the ad or not.

Well, you could say that, but the fact is that everyone was talking about the new 5D before the marketing was launched so I don't buy that. Min you, I've feeling that the 5D's replacement wont be setting the world on fire either so perhaps it's appropriate.

Well, you could say that, but the fact is that everyone was talking about the new 5D before the marketing was launched so I don't buy that. Min you, I've feeling that the 5D's replacement wont be setting the world on fire either so perhaps it's appropriate.

I get that feeling too actually. It would have to be ridiculously good to achieve what the 5D MKI has, and to also make it a greater proposition over the D700.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back